The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that 15 films have been selected for consideration for Achievement in Visual Effects for the 84th Academy Awards.
The films are listed below in alphabetical order:
- Captain America: The First Avenger
- Cowboys & Aliens
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2
- Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
- Real Steel
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes
- Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
- Sucker Punch
- Super 8
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon
- The Tree of Life
- X-Men: First Class
In early January, the members of the Academy's Visual Effects Branch Executive Committee, who selected the 15 films, will narrow the list to 10.
All members of the Visual Effects Branch will be invited to view 10-minute excerpts from each of the 10 shortlisted films on Thursday, January 19. Following the screenings, the members will vote to nominate five films for final Oscar consideration.
The 84th Academy Awards nominations will be announced live on Tuesday, January 24, 2012, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater.