The Artist was named Best Film at tonight's Orange British Academy Film Awards hosted by Stephen Fry, held at London's Royal Opera House. The film also won six other awards: Director, Original Screenplay, Original Music, Cinematography, Costume Design as well as a performance award for Jean Dujardin who won the Leading Actor BAFTA.
Outstanding British Film and Adapted Screenplay were awarded to Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Senna won the Documentary and Editing BAFTAs. Hugo won two BAFTAs in Production Design and Sound. Pedro Almodóvar's The Skin I Live In won the Film Not in the English Language category and Rango won the BAFTA for Animated Film. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 was awarded the BAFTA for Special Visual Effects.
Director Paddy Considine and Producer Diarmid Scrimshaw received the award for Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer for their first feature film Tyrannosaur, based upon the short film Dog Altogether that won them the Short Film BAFTA in 2008.
The Orange Wednesdays Rising Star Award was presented to Adam Deacon, recently seen in Anuvahood and Kidulthood. This award, the only one voted for by the public, recognises an international actor or actress who has demonstrated exceptional talent and has begun to be recognised as a film star in the making. The award is now in its seventh year and was created in honour of Mary Selway, the highly respected casting director who passed away in 2004.
OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM
- My Week with Marilyn - Simon Curtis, David Parfitt, Harvey Weinstein, Adrian Hodges
- Senna - Asif Kapadia, James Gay-Rees, Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Manish Pandey
- Shame - Steve McQueen, Iain Canning, Emile Sherman, Abi Morgan
- We Need to Talk About Kevin - Lynne Ramsay, Luc Roeg, Jennifer Fox, Robert Salerno, Rory Stewart Kinnear
OUTSTANDING DEBUT BY A BRITISH WRITER, DIRECTOR OR PRODUCER
FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
MAKE UP & HAIR
- Hugo - Philip Stockton, Eugene Gearty, Tom Fleischman, John Midgley
- The Artist - Nadine Muse, Gérard Lamps, Michael Krikorian
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 - James Mather, Stuart Wilson, Stuart Hilliker, Mike Dowson, Adam Scrivener
- Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - John Casali, Howard Bargroff, Doug Cooper, Stephen Griffiths, Andy Shelley
- War Horse - Stuart Wilson, Gary Rydstrom, Andy Nelson, Tom Johnson, Richard Hymns
SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 - Tim Burke, John Richardson, Greg Butler, David Vickery
- The Adventures of Tintin - Joe Letteri
- Hugo - Rob Legato, Ben Grossman, Joss Williams
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, R. Christopher White
- War Horse - Ben Morris, Neil Corbould