It's New Year's Eve 1922 and the Roaring '20s are about to begin in earnest. Despite a booming economy, alcohol is scarce in Atlantic City, competition is at its fiercest and gangster violence is heating up. The 12-time Emmy Award winning Boardwalk Empire is back on August 20, 2013 when Season 3 debuts on Blu-ray with HBO Select* ($79.98), DVD ($59.99) and Digital Download. Hailed as "striking," (Time.com) with "first-rate performances" (USA Today), Boardwalk Empire: The Complete Third Season is jam-packed with exclusive bonus material and is not to be missed!
Nucky Thompson has become Atlantic City's undisputed czar during Prohibition and is facing the challenge of mending old relationships. While his marriage lies in shambles, he faces new competition from Gyp Rosetti, a hair-trigger gangster determined to siphon off his alcohol business. The conflict brings out the best and worst in Nucky, who proves his brutal mettle in a series of violent encounters, as new and familiar faces also undergo compelling metamorphoses.
Blu-ray Features (along with all DVD extras):
- American Empires: Prohibition did little to quench the country's thirst for alcohol, and proved to be a boon to the era's gangsters. Learn more about these gangsters, their influence, and their systems of distribution in this interactive compendium.
- Boardwalk Chronicle: Track the major players and locations within each episode, and learn more about the historical threads woven into the season three storyline with this interactive, in-feature guide.
- Newsreels: Explore some of the real-world events and historical figures that inspired Boardwalk Empire season three with these 24 exclusive featurettes.
- Distilling Season 2: Look back at season two with this 14-minute recap featuring creator/executive producer Terence Winter.
- New Characters: An introduction to Gyp Rosetti, Billie Kent, Gaston Means, Dean O'Banion, and Benny Siegel.
- Boardwalk Empire - Director's Chair: Hear directors Timothy Van Patten and Allen Coulter break down key scenes from season three, and how they approach taking the series from the script to the screen.
- Audio Commentaries: six audio commentaries with cast and crew including creator Terence Winter, Steve Buscemi, Bobby Cannavale, Gretchen Mol and more.
Boardwalk Empire stars Steve Buscemi as Nucky Thompson; Kelly Macdonald as Margaret, Nucky's wife; Michael Shannon as federal agent Nelson Van Alden; Gretchen Mol as Gillian, Jimmy Darmody's mother; Shea Whigham as Nucky's estranged brother Elias; Michael Stuhlbarg as gangster Arnold Rothstein; Stephen Graham as gangster Al Capone; Vincent Piazza as gangster Lucky Luciano; Michael K. Williams as Nucky's ally Chalky White, leader of the city's African-American community; Anthony Laciura as Eddie Kessler, Nucky's valet; Paul Sparks as gangster Mickey Doyle; Jack Huston as Richard Harrow, a disfigured war veteran; Charlie Cox as Owen Sleater, Nucky's right-hand man; Bobby Cannavale as Gyp Rosetti, Nucky's new foe; Arron Shiver as gangster Dean O'Banion; Christopher McDonald as U.S. Attorney General Harry Daugherty; Stephen Root as Gaston Means, a go-between for Nucky and Daugherty; and Meg Chambers Steedle as Billie Kent, Nucky's new mistress. Created by Terence Winter, the seriesis executive produced by Winter, Martin Scorsese, Mark Wahlberg, Stephen Levinson, Timothy Van Patten and Howard Korder; co-executive producers, Gene Kelly, Chris Haddock, Andrew Schneider, Diane Frolov, Rolin Jones; producers, Joseph E. Iberti, Rick Yorn; co-producer, Steve Kornacki; supervising producer, David Stenn.
*Blu-ray with HBO Select offers buyers the choice of three ways to watch in one set - Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Copy - and at no additional cost. The digital copy is redeemable via a provider of your choice: iTunes, Vudu or Amazon, as well as an UltraViolet copy through supporting providers.