Jason Statham Wants No Part of Fast 8 Feud Between the Rock & Vin Diesel
Earlier this month, production came to an end on Fast and Furious 8, which came with quite a bit of controversy. Shortly before production wrapped, franchise star Dwayne Johnson called out some of his male co-stars, calling them "candy asses" while chastising their unprofessional behavior. The actor didn't identify exactly who he was referring to in the Instagram post, but it was since revealed that the subject of The Rock's ire was in fact franchise star Vin Diesel. While we'll have to wait until next year to see if all this on-set drama affected the product on screen, one of their co-stars is staying out of the whole mess.
After making his surprising debut at the end of Fast & Furious 6 as Deckard Shaw, Jason Statham returned as the main villain in last year's Furious 7, and he came back to reprise his role in Fast 8 as well. Very little is known about his involvement in the plot, but while promoting his new action-thriller Mechanic: Resurrection, the actor told People that he's staying out of any on-set conflict. Here's what he had to say below.
"I stay out of any bickering or any troubles that people have. I have nothing to do with it and I don't want any part of it. Look, Dwayne's his own man and what he says he's entitled to say in his own way. And what he wants to say - you've got to ask him."
While very little has been confirmed, reports have surfaced that claimed Dwayne Johnson was angered by Vin Diesel's tendencies to keep the cast and crew waiting hours before he was ready to shoot. Sources claim that Vin Diesel, who also serves as a producer, has run the last few movies like this, and it's unclear why Dwayne Johnson, who boarded the franchise in 2011's Fast Five, was so upset on this particular day. Regardless, The Rock later clarifying that the conflict has been resolved.
Jason Statham added that he is a "good friend of Dwayne's" and he'd "like to keep it that way", and that his whole experience on Fast 8 has been "phenomenal." In the final #FastFridays post last week, director F. Gary Gray announced that the first trailer will arrive in December, although no further details were given. Another report claims that the cast and crew are "mad" at Dwayne Johnson for taking the feud public, although that report also claimed that Dwayne Johnson and Vin Diesel have ironed out their issues. Another scenerio claims that this 'feud' between the two is actually a WWE stunt that will end with the two superstars stepping into the ring to square off. Stay tuned for more on Fast & Furious 8, which hits theaters on April 14, 2017.