Gone with the Wind Breezes Onto DVD and Blu-ray November 17th
Winner of 10 Academy Awards including Best Picture, and still history's all time domestic box-office champion ($1.5 billion), Gone with the Wind has long been considered the most celebrated motion picture of all time. On November 17, Warner Home Video will honor the romantic epic with a stunningly restored and remastered version, available for the first time on Blu-ray. Gone with the Wind [70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition] is sure to be a "must-have" for collectors of classic films, available both in Blu-ray as well as on DVD.
The highlight of this new Blu-ray version of Gone with the Wind is how it looks and sounds. As they've done with Wizard of Oz, Warner Home Video continues to maximize what the Blu-ray format can do in terms of picture and sound. With six times higher resolution than standard DVD along with the sonic excellence of Dolby TrueHD, the film will be at its absolute pristine best.
"You're going to see, hear and experience so much more with this Blu-ray edition," said Jeff Baker, WHV Executive Vice President and General Manager (Theatrical Catalog). Viewing Gone with the Wind again on Blu-ray is like seeing it for the first time. You're brought into the saga of the war torn Tara so intensely, you feel as if all the characters literally come alive. At times, I felt as if I was on the set standing next to the camera watching Gable and Leigh as the whole scene unfolded."
Brand new to these editions is a bonus disc with three new outstanding documentaries:
- 1939: Hollywood's Greatest Year is a fascinating tribute to a year considered to be one of Hollywood's greatest. This documentary, narrated by Kenneth Branagh, had its on-air premiere in July as part of TCM's month-long festival saluting that year's 'bumper-crop' of films.
- Gone with the Wind: The Legend Lives On is an exploration of the legacy of this most beloved film through illuminating interviews, footage and visits to historical sites, events and museums.
- Moviola: The Scarlett O'Hara Wars is a 1980 WBTV Special, never before seen on home video.
This historic 70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition, limited and numbered, will be further enhanced with unique nostalgic premiums: A 40-page hardcover book with photos, production notes and more; a reproduction of the 1939 original program, eight 5"x7" frameable art prints, and a CD soundtrack sampler!
The USA's #1 movie of all time with more than 8 hours of enhanced content (two of which are brand new), includes new documentaries and nostalgic collectibles in limited, numbered velvet keepsake box.
The UCEs will be available in Blu-ray for $84.99 and DVD for $69.92 SRP. A Two-Disc DVD Special Edition will also be offered with the film and commentary for $24.98 SRP. Also, the brilliant documentary The Making of a Legend will also be available as a stand alone DVD for $14.97 SRP.
About the Movie:
Gone with the Wind is the grandest, most ambitious and spectacular piece of filmmaking in cinematic history. With more than 50 speaking roles and 2400 extras, the film is the quintessential Hollywood epic. Considered a "must have" for collectors, and one that can be watched again and again for generations to come.
Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh, Leslie Howard and Olivia de Havilland star in Gone with the Wind, which for more than a half century has thrilled audiences with its eternal love affair, set in the South against the backdrop of the Civil War, between handsome Rhett Butler (Gable) and his sassy, headstrong heroine Scarlett O´Hara (Leigh). With each new generation, Gone with the Wind continues to grow in popularity as new audiences discover and embrace the David O. Selznick production of Margaret Mitchell's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel.
Two-Disc DVD Special Features:
- Disc 1 The Movie, Part 1
- - Remastered feature with Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio
- - Commentary by historian Rudy Behlmer
- Disc 2 The Movie, Part 2
- - Remastered feature (continued)
- - Commentary by historian Rudy Behlmer
- - Offer for a numbered Limited Edition copy of the Original 1939 Poster
DVD & Blu-ray Ultimate Collector's Editions:
Includes everything listed above in the Two-Disc SE, as well as the following:
Two-Disc DVD Special Features:
- Disc 3: About The Movie
- - The Making of a Legend documentary (1989 TV Special narrated by Christopher Plummer)
- - Restoring a Legend - Chronicles the film/video restoration process
- - Dixie Hails Gone with the Wind - 1939 Premiere newsreel
- - 1940 MGM historical short: "The Old South"
- - Atlanta Civil War Centennial 1961 premiere newsreel
- - International prologue
- - Foreign language version sample scenes
- - Theatrical Trailers
- Disc 4: About The Cast
- - Melanie Remembers: Reflections by Olivia de Havilland - exclusive 2004 documentary
- - Cast profile - Gable: The King Remembered
- - Cast profile - Vivien Leigh: Scarlett and Beyond
- - The Supporting Players - Cameo portraits of an unforgettable ensemble:
- - At Tara:
- "The O'Hara Plantationin Georgia"
- "Thomas Mitchell as Gerald O'Hara"
- "Barbara O'Neill as Ellen, his wife"
- - Their Daughters:
- "Evelyn Keyes as Suellen"
- "Ann Rutherford as Carree"
- - The house servants:
- "Hattie McDaniel as Mammy"
- "Oscar Polk as Pork"
- "Butterfly McQueen as Prissy"
- - At Twelve Oaks:
- "Leslie Howard as Ashley Wilkes"
- "Rand Brooks as Charles Hamilton, her brother"
- "Carroll Nye as Frank Kennedy, a guest"
- - In Atlanta:
- "Laura Hope Crews as Aunt Pittypat Hamilton"
- "Eddie Anderson as Uncle Peter, her coachman"
- "Harry Davenport as Dr. Meade"
- "Jane Darwell as Mrs. Merriwether"
- "Ona Munson as Belle Watling"
- "Cammie King as Bonnie Blue Butler"
- Disc 5: New Bonus Disc
- - Warner Bros. Home Entertainment presents 1939: Hollywood's Greatest Year: New documentary about Hollywood's watershed year narrated by Kenneth Branagh
- - Gone with the Wind: The Legend Lives On: Exploring the legacy of the most beloved film through illuminating interviews, footage and visits to historical sites, events and museums
- - Moviola: The Scarlett O'Hara Wars 1980 WBTV Special (never before on home video)
- - Trailers
(Note: The Blu-ray Hi-Def edition will have all disc content above combined onto 2 discs)
Also included are unique premiums housed in a beautiful velvet keepsake box, limited and numbered:
EXCLUSIVE to both the DVD and Blu-ray Ultimate Collector's Edition:
- 20-page reproduction of the original and complete 1939 Souvenir Program
- 40-page Production History book with photos and production notes
- Eight Frameable 5"x7" Art Prints
- CD soundtrack sampler featuring eight tracks:
"Escape From Atlanta"
"I'll Never Be Hungry Again!"
"Paddock Scene" 5:27
"Scarlett In The Mist/Rhett Leaves"
EXCLUSIVE to just the Blu-ray Ultimate Collection Edition:
- MGM: When The Lion Roars Documentary
Gone with the Wind [70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition] [With Book] [4 Discs] [Blu-ray will be supported with a national marketing campaign spanning TV, Online, Print, Promotions, and Publicity.
Both WHV and TCM will be supporting partners in a 70th Anniversary celebratory weekend to take place in Marietta, Georgia, just outside of Atlanta and home of the "Marietta Gone with the Wind" Museum, Scarlett on the Square. The weekend - November 13-14 - is sure to draw fans far and wide, and will consist of a gala re-premiere screening at the historic, newly refurbished Strand theatre, hosted by TCM's Robert Osborne and complete with red carpet, replica of the original theatre facade, vintage cars from the '30s, and more. In addition, there will be a"Belles and Beaus" costume ball and "Gone with the Wind" authors forum.
TCM will also be supporting the release with Print, TV, and Online (details to be confirmed).
Winner of 10 Academy Awards
For the thousands who remember its unparalleled drama, action and romance! For the new thousands to whom the wonders will be revealed for the first time! Breathtaking spectacle, inspired acting by the greatest cast ever assembled! The screen's most exciting love story! The most-talked about picture ever made!
This sweeping Civil War-era romance won an impressive 10 Academy Awards (including Best Picture), and its immortal characters Scarlett (Vivien Leigh), Rhett (Clark Gable), Ashley (Leslie Howard), Melanie (Olivia de Havilland), Mammy (Hattie McDaniel) and Prissy (Butterfly McQueen) populate an epic story of enduring appeal across generations.
David O. Selznick's production of Margaret Mitchell's Pulitzer Prize winning book Gone with the Wind is "the pinnacle of Hollywood moviemaking," Leonard Maltin of Entertainment Tonight said. And in Maltin's view, "it looks better than it has in years and remains one of the greatest examples of storytelling on film." Judged by many to be the greatest movie of all time, Gone with the Wind now comes home in its best video edition ever!