During the closing days of WWII, a National Guard Infantry Company is assigned the task of setting up artillery observation posts in a strategic area. Lieutenant Costa knows that Cooney is in command only because of 'connections' he had made state-side. Costa has serious doubts concerning Cooneys' ability to lead the group. When Cooney sends Costa and his men out, and refuses to re-enforce them, Costa swears revenge.
- Robert Aldrich.....Director
- Jack Palance.....Lt. Joe Costa, Fox Co.
- Eddie Albert.....Capt. Erskine Cooney, CO, Fox Co.
- Lee Marvin.....Lt. Col. Clyde Bartlett, CO, White Battalion
- Robert Strauss.....Pfc. Bernstein
- Richard Jaeckel.....Pvt. Snowden
- Buddy Ebsen.....Sfc. Tolliver, Fox Co.