Based on Steve Martin's bestselling novella, "Shopgirl" is a funny and poignant story of love in the modern age. Mirabelle (Claire Danes) mans the glove counter at a high end department store in Beverly Hills, selling things that nobody buys anymore. An artist struggling to keep up with even the minimum payment on her credit card and student loans, she lives a quiet life and keeps to herself until a rich, handsome fiftysomething named Ray Porter (Martin) sweeps her off her feet. Mirabelle revels in the attention, the sex, and especially, being in love, but somewhere, subconsciously, she realizes that the relationship cannot last. Soon, she has to make a decision: will she stick with Ray, hoping that his feelings for her might grow, or does she take a chance with Jeremy (Jason Schwartzman), a musician who may offer more?
- Anand Tucker.....Director
- Steve Martin.....Ray Porter
- Claire Danes.....Mirabelle
- Jason Schwartzman.....Jeremy
- Bridgette Wilson.....Lisa Cramer
- Sam Bottoms.....Dan Buttersfield
- Frances Conroy.....Catherine Buttersfield