This sequel to the '80s flick will find the stars of the first film reuniting 20 years later (along with their kids) to solve a new mystery.
Talk of The Goonies 2 really heated up back in early 2014, when original director Richard Donner claimed it was happening with the main cast set to return. We've heard varying different reports since then. Original writer Chris Columbus, who is producing the sequel, confirmed it was in the development stages at Warner Bros., but the pre-production process is a slow one. And Jeff Cohen, who played Chunk, has confirmed that he is not returning in any capacity. He quit acting a long time ago, and now works in entertainment law.
There have been various rumors about what a The Goonies 2 might even be. Some think it will follow the kids of the original Goonies as they go on their own adventure, with the parents trying to catch up. Others believe it will be a complete reboot not unlike the upcoming all-female Ghostbusters. At one point, Sean Astin and fellow Goonie Corey Feldman even cooked up their own sequel idea. It was quickly tossed out of the room. Right now, it sounds like Sean Astin really has no idea what is going on with a possible sequel or reboot. But if people keep talking about it, perhaps it will actually happen. Here is the original tweet that got everyone so excited.
Ha! Love it!! Oh no he won't.. #Goonies2pic.twitter.com/XufsDTD3kX— Mike Backhouse (@mikebackhouse) September 26, 2015Read More
We've heard so much about The Goonies 2 over the last two years, that it sounds more like wishful thinking than anything else. But one strong believer in the sequel is Sean Astin. He insists that the movie will happen. No matter what. What he doesn't know is whether or not any of the original cast members will actually return. It's possible they won't. Jeff Cohen, who plays Chunk, already said he's sitting this one out. But the movie has such a strong presence in the pop lexicon, that Sean Astin knows for a fact that Warner Bros. isn't going to let it sit dormant much longer. This despite the fact that it has been exactly 30 years since the original opened in the summer of 1985.
We know a lot of fans will just not accept The Goonies 2 if the original cast doesn't show up. And as true blue Ghostbusters fans have made quite clear, a cameo just isn't going to cut it. We know that the film is still in development. But will it ever move forward? We'll have to wait and see. Until then, we'll have to rely on word from Sean Astin and others associated with the original 1985 classic.Read More
The Goonies 2 is one of those sequels that just won't die. No matter how far away we get from it actually happening. When Pixels was opening this summer, director of that film Chris Columbus, who wrote the original Goonies, claimed the movie was still happening. Only very slowly. He claimed it was in 'heavy development'. Well, if The Goonies 2 does happen, it won't be a true reunion for the cast, as an original, very integral Goonie says he's not showing up. And director Richard Donner, who threw The Goonies 2 rumor machine into hyper drive over a year ago, claiming that the movie was happening, isn't so sure any more. If it does happen, that moment is a long ways off.
What do you think? Will you be disappointed to see The Goonies reunited without Chunk? We know Mikey and Mouth will be back, as Sean Astin and Corey Feldman have often shared their excitement about returning. As for the rest of the cast, we're not so sure. In the past, The Goonies 2 has been described as a true reboot. It might not even be a sequel at all, only allowing for a couple of cameos. If we don't get any more Goonies on the big screen, are you at least excited about the idea of an off-broadway show that brings you into the adventure? Or do you just want this 80s nostalgia to die already? Sounds off below.Read More
Fans have been waiting years for sequels to two of Amblin's most beloved 80s movies. Way back in April of 2014, original Goonies director Richard Donner claimed that The Goonies 2 was definitely happening with the entire cast set to return. Since that time, we've seen little to no development on the project. And producer Seth Grahame-Smith has been promising a Gremlins reboot for almost as long. It would be easy for fans to assume neither of these projects is actually ever going to happen. But Chris Columbus, promoting his new sci-fi action comedy Pixels, assures us neither movie is dead. And both are still in 'heavy development'.
Chris Columbus promises he will not give up on these movies, no matter what happens. And he wants fans to hold out hope. They will arrive at some point, but wants you all to know, "it's a slow process and I don't think it will happen too quickly." The director made his name known in 1984 with the script for the original Gremlins, a horror comedy that helped usher in the PG-13 era. And he quickly moved onto The Goonies, which has grown a feverish cult fan base ever since it's release. He is not returning to pen the sequels himself, but he will have a hand in how the properties are handled moving into the future.Read More