Netflix, Inc. and NBC Universal Domestic Television Distribution today announced an expanded license agreement through which Netflix members can instantly watch a selection of broadcast series from the NBC television network and - for the first time on Netflix - content from some of NBC Universal's popular cable channels.
The multi-year deal kicks off next week and continues the relationship between Netflix and NBC Universal.
The agreement adds significantly to the growing selection of movies and TV episodes that can be streamed instantly from Netflix with memberships starting at $8.99 a month. Among the highlights, Netflix members will be able to instantly watch:
- Episodes from every season of NBC's signature comedy franchise Saturday Night Live, including day-after broadcast of the upcoming 2010, 2011 and 2012 seasons plus hundreds of episodes from the first 35 years of SNL.
- Every episode from the last season of the multiple Emmy Award-winning series 30 Rock, The Office and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, as well as earlier seasons of those shows renewed for streaming from Netflix under the current deal.
- All prior seasons - and eventually next year's final season - of Friday Night Lights, the small-town drama surrounding high-school football in Dillon, Tex.
- All prior seasons of USA Network hits Psych the comedy featuring James Roday as a fake psychic who solves crimes with his best friend, Dulé Hill; the drama In Plain Sight, starring Mary McCormack as a U.S. Marshal in New Mexico; as well as all seasons of Monk, starring Emmy Award and Golden Globe Award winner Tony Shalhoub in the title role. Prior seasons of all three shows are available to watch instantly at Netflix for the first time.
- More than 75 prior season episodes of Syfy's mainstay Battlestar Galactica, as well as prior seasons of the network's popular series' Destination Truth and Eureka - all streaming from Netflix for the first time.
"We are very pleased to continue our successful relationship with Netflix," said Frances Manfredi, executive vice president and general sales manager of cable and non-theatrical sales for NBC Universal Domestic TV Distribution, who forged the deal. "We applaud Netflix for recognizing the value of content like SNL, Friday Night Lights. Monk, and Battlestar Galactica to their subscribers."
"This agreement adds meaningfully to the wide variety of content that can be streamed from Netflix and breaks new ground in our relationship with NBC Universal," said Ted Sarandos, chief content officer for Netflix.
Best of the Web
Battlestar Galactica Movie Is Back on Track with New Producers
Michael De Luca is teaming up with Bluegrass Films' Scott Stuber and Dylan Clark for Univeral's languishing Battlestar Galactica movie.
Battlestar Galactica Movie Will Be a Reboot; Gets Transcendence Writer
The original TV show's creator Glen Larson is producing this feature which will completely reimagine the iconic sci-fi TV series.
CONTEST: Win Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome on Blu-ray
Take home this two-hour prequel starring Luke Pasqualino and Benn Cotton, set in the midst of the first Cylon War.
EXCLUSIVE: Ben Cotton Talks Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome Blu-ray
The actor portrays Coker Fasjovic in this prequel to the hit series, which arrives on Blu-ray and DVD February 19th.
EXCLUSIVE: Lili Bordan Talks Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome Blu-ray
The actress plays Dr. Becca Kelly in this Syfy pilot, on extended version Blu-ray and DVD February 19th.
Watch Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome Episode 1 Through Episode 6
Take a look at the latest installments of this web series cut from the two-hour Syfy pilot starring Luke Pasqualino as William Adama.