George Lucas

Fans Petition for George Lucas to Replace Colin Trevorrow on ‘Star Wars 9’

Fans Petition for George Lucas to Replace Colin Trevorrow on ‘Star Wars 9’

Star Wars fans have always been a vocal group, whether it's expressing their admiration for the franchise, or addressing its flaws. After the prequel trilogy ended in 2005 with Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, some didn't think we'd ever see another Star Wars movie again, until George Lucas sold off his entire LucasFilm empire for $4 billion to Disney back in 2012. The result of that sale was Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which recently took down Avatar's record to become the highest-grossing movie ever at the domestic box office. With two more movies and three spinoffs coming, a new petition has surfaced, asking George Lucas to come back and direct Star Wars: Episode IX.

The petition currently has 2,645 signatures, but even if they do get much more, it doesn't seem likely that George Lucas will come back. He has said in multiple interviews that Disney didn't want to use his ideas for the new trilogy, even going so far as comparing the studio to white slavers. The filmmaker did end up apologizing, but it still doesn't seem likely that the director and Disney will work together.

Read More
What Is George Lucas' Problem with ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’?

What Is George Lucas' Problem with ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’?

When it was first revealed that George Lucas had finally seen Star Wars: The Force Awakens, we didn't get to hear his own opinion. Instead, we were assured by producer and LucasFilm boss Kathleen Kennedy that he 'really liked it'. When Vulture caught up with the creator of this universe, he wouldn't give an opinion either way. Instead, he declared that fans would love it. Which they did. Which he sees as a major problem.

While Star Wars: The Force Awakens is 95% fresh on the Tomato Meter, and received an A cinemascore, the film is not without its critics. Some have been as bold as to call it the most expensive piece of fan fiction ever made. And George Lucas probably doesn't disagree with that. When the creator of this vast and very popular universe sold Star Wars to Disney for $4 billion, he compared it to a divorce or 'break-up'.

Read More
Fans Will Love ‘Star Wars 7’ Says George Lucas

Fans Will Love ‘Star Wars 7’ Says George Lucas

Last week, it was revealed that Star Wars franchise creator George Lucas had finally seen Star Wars: The Force Awakens. But we only got to hear what the man thought second hand from Lucasfilm boss and producer Kathleen Kennedy. She claimed that he 'really liked it'. Now, Vulture has caught up with the man for a direct quote. But he doesn't offer the praise you might expect.

George Lucas was at the Kennedy Center Honors in Washington on Sunday, where he refused to openly admit that he actually liked the movie. In recent interviews, George Lucas, who directed the first movie and the entire prequel trilogy, compared his current relationship to the Star Wars franchise as a 'divorce'. And he claimed that the new film would likely ruin his vision. George Lucas sold Lucasfilm to Disney back in 2012, and both parties washed their hands of each other. Lucas always had plans for Star Wars 7-9, but all of those ideas were tossed in the trash once his company traded hands. And he was not invited to help out with Star Wars: The Force Awakens in any way. But now, he has been invited to both the London and Los Angeles world premieres of the movie. And he's accepted that invitation.

Read More
George Lucas Has Seen ‘Star Wars 7’, What Does He Think?

George Lucas Has Seen ‘Star Wars 7’, What Does He Think?

George Lucas has finally seen Star Wars: The Force Awakens. And guess what? He really liked it. At least, that's according to the sequel's producer and Lucasfilm boss Kathleen Kennedy. In the events leading up to the screening, it didn't sound like the creator of this universe was interested in watching the 7th chapter in his space opera at all.

In recent interviews, George Lucas, who directed the first movie and the entire prequel trilogy, compared his current relationship to the Star Wars franchise as a 'divorce'. And he claimed that the new film would likely ruin his vision. We don't get to hear from the director himself. Probably because Disney is afraid he'll show his true feelings. For now, we'll have to take Kathleen Kennedy's word that he enjoyed the experience of seeing his beloved series worked over by someone completely new.

Read More
George Lucas Gives Definitive Answer to Why Han Didn't Shoot First

George Lucas Gives Definitive Answer to Why Han Didn't Shoot First

George Lucas also added how Steven Spielberg's Jurassic Park showed him that special effects and CGI were advanced enough that he could actually show Yoda in a lightsaber duel. That battle actually happened in 2002's Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones, which hit theaters nine years after Jurassic Park. What do you think about these new details from George Lucas? Are you glad he isn't involved with Star Wars: The Force Awakens, or would you have rather seen him involved in some way?

Star Wars: The Force Awakens was released December 18th, 2015.

Read More
Why Did George Lucas Quit ‘Star Wars’?

Why Did George Lucas Quit ‘Star Wars’?

Only one fan has seen Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and he is no longer with us to say whether or not Disney made the right decision. But from the looks of the trailers, photos, TV spots and teasers that we've been bombarded with over the past few weeks, it seems as though Disney made a smart decision. At the forefront of things, Star Wars 7 looks a lot more like Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back than Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones. And most fans seem to be in agreement that this is a good thing.

When Star Wars: The Force Awakens first started to move forward at Disney and Lucasfilm, there was some speculation that the studios would utilize George Lucas' long drawn out plans for the continuation of the series. But as he revealed early in the process, Disney decided to toss all of his ideas about Luke Skywalker's retirement era in the trash. And as of now, we don't really know what the father of Star Wars was truly planning for his cast of iconic characters. Though, it has been said by Mark Hamill that Luke was to assume the role Obi-Wan played in A New Hope. We don't yet know if that still stands somewhat true.

Read More
George Lucas & Danny Elfman to Be Named Disney Legends at D23

George Lucas & Danny Elfman to Be Named Disney Legends at D23

‘Star Wars’ creator George Lucas is one of eight luminaries who will be honored as Disney Legends at the D23 Convention next month.
‘Star Wars 7’: What George Lucas Wanted & Why It Didn't Happen

‘Star Wars 7’: What George Lucas Wanted & Why It Didn't Happen

George Lucas' original treatment for ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ focused on teenagers, which lead Disney to develop their own story.