The end of calendar year is always the start of the awards season for movie fans, with critics' top 10 lists rolling out and award nominations being handed out. However, there are a few distinct honors that no film wants to receive. Today, Project X was named as the most downloaded movie of 2012, while the Christian Slater flop Playback was named the lowest grossing movie of the year, earning just $264 at the box office. Yes, just two hundred sixty-four dollars.
Playback was released in just one theater back in March, earning a paltry $252, adding another $12 the following week for a total domestic tally of $264. Oddly enough, though, The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure fared even worse, in terms of per-screen average. Opening in 2,160 theaters this August, The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure earned an abysmal $443,901, for a per-screen average of $206. In case both Playback and The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure weren't on your radar this year, we have included the trailers. You can also check out the list of the top 10 most downloaded movies of 2012 below the videos.
Top 10 Most Downloaded Movies of 2012
- Project X - 8,720,000 downloads - $100,931,865 worldwide gross
- Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol - 8,500,000 downloads - $694,713,380 worldwide gross
- The Dark Knight Rises - 8,230,000 downloads - $1,081,041,287 worldwide gross
- Marvel's The Avengers - 8,110,000 downloads - $1,511,757,910 worldwide gross
- Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - 7,850,000 downloads - $543,848,418 worldwide gross
- 21 Jump Street - 7,590,000 downloads - $201,585,328 worldwide gross
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - 7,420,000 downloads - $232,617,430 worldwide gross
- The Dictator - 7,330,000 downloads - $177,547,352 worldwide gross
- Ice Age: Continental Drift - 6,960,000 downloads - $875,093,094 worldwide gross
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 - 6,740,000 downloads - $712,171,856 worldwide gross