Comic-Con has just released the full schedule for the first full day of Comic-Con 2009 in San Diego, CA, which is Thursday, July 23. You can click for the entire schedule, which includes comic book and video game events, but here's a look at the film and TV panels below, as well as a look at the screenings for "preview night," Wednesday, July 22.
Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - Preview Night
6:00-9:00 Special Sneak Peek Pilot Screenings
Comic-Con and Warner Bros. Television proudly present exclusive pilot premiere screenings of some of the most buzzed-about new TV series of the 2009-2010 season-Human Target, V, and The Vampire Diaries-as well as an exclusive preview trailer for additional upcoming shows.
Based upon the popular DC Comics title and starring Mark Valley (Fringe), Chi McBride (Pushing Daisies), and Jackie Earle Haley (Watchmen), the highly anticipated Human Target is an action-packed thrill ride about a mysterious private contractor who will stop at nothing, even if it literally means becoming a human target, to keep his clients alive. Executive produced by McG (Terminator Salvation), Jonathan Steinberg (Jericho), Brad Kern (Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman), Kevin Hooks (Prison Break), and Peter Johnson (Supernatural), the series is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Wonderland Sound and Vision, DC Comics and Warner Bros. Television. -Human Target will air Wednesdays at 9:00 PM ET/PT on FOX, beginning in January.
Already one of the most talked-about new shows of the upcoming season, V is a thrilling reimagining of the groundbreaking miniseries, starring Elizabeth Mitchell (Lost), Morris Chestnut (Boyz N the Hood), Joel Gretsch (The 4400), Lourdes Benedicto (24), Logan Huffman (America!), and Laura Vandervoort (Smallville), with Morena Baccarin (Firefly) and Scott Wolf (Party of Five). Scott Peters (The 4400), Jace Hall (The Jace Hall Show), Steve Pearlman (Related) and Jeffrey Bell (Angel) are the executive producers for HDFilms in association with Warner Bros. Television. V will premiere midseason on ABC.
Writer/producer Kevin Williamson (the Scream movies) is back with The Vampire Diaries, an edgy and romantic new drama in which two vampire brothers-one good, one evil-are at war for the soul of one girl. Based on the best-selling book series of the same name by L.J. Smith, the show stars Nina Dobrev (Degrassi: The Next Generation), Paul Wesley (Everwood), Ian Somerhalder (Lost), Steven R. McQueen (Everwood), Katerina Graham (17 Again), Sara Canning (Smallville), Candice Accola (Supernatural), Zach Roerig (Friday Night Lights), Kayla Ewell (Entourage), and Michael Trevino (The Riches). Williamson, Leslie Morgenstein (Gossip Girl), and Bob Levy (Gossip Girl) are the executive producers for Bonanza Productions Inc., Outerbanks Entertainment, and Alloy Entertainment in association with Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios. The Vampire Diaries will air Thursdays at 8:00 PM ET/PT this fall on The CW, premiering September 10.
Thursday, July 23, 2009
10:00 11:00 Masters of the Web
- For the third year in a row the most popular genre and movie websites are coming together to discuss how new media have affected moviemaking, what it takes to run a popular site, and much more in a panel discussion and Q&A session. Participants include Robert Sanchez (IESB.net), Ryan Rotten (Shocktilyoudrop.com), Mike Sampson (Joblo.com), Jeremy Smith (AintItCoolNews.com), Brad Miska (Bloody-Disgusting.com), Drew McWeeny (Hitfix.com), Devin Faraci (CHUD.com), Paul Christensen (Movieweb.com), Wilson Morales (Blackfilm.com/AOL Black Voices), Vic Holtreman (Screenrant.com), and George Roush (Latinoreview.com). Director Kevin Munroe (TMNT, Dead of Night) moderates, with Brandon Routh and Sam Huntington on hand to preview an exclusive sneak peek of their new film Dead of Night, based on the Dylan Dog comic books. Room 32AB
10:15-11:15 Summit Entertainment: Astro Boy
- A superhero origin story set in a futuristic world, Astro Boy is an all-new CG-animated feature film based on the classic manga about a young robot with incredible powers and his adventure-filled journey in search of his identity and destiny. Director David Bowers, producer Maryanne Grager, and stars Freddie Highmore (Astro) and Kristen Bell (Cora) debut footage exclusive to Comic-Con 2009 and answer your questions about bringing this beloved hero to the big screen. Room 6BCF
10:30-11:30 TheOneRing.net: The Hobbit
- With Middle-earth returning to the big screen in December 2011, TheOneRing.net will take you behind the scenes of the latest news, announcements, and rumors pertaining to the Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro production of The Hobbit. Chris Pirrotta, Larry Curtis, Cliff Broadway, and others from TheOneRing.net crew offer this early look at making The Hobbit happen! Room 7AB
11:00-12:30 Disney: 3D Panel
- Walt Disney Pictures presents key filmmakers, select cast members and previously unseen footage from its upcoming slate, including Disney's a Christmas Carol, Alice in Wonderland and Tron. Special guests include Robert Zemeckis, Tim Burton, Sean Bailey, Steve Lisberger, and moderator Patton Oswalt. Hall H
11:15-12:15 The Middleman Cast Reunion and Lost Episode Table Read
- Creator Javier Grillo-Marxuach (Lost) and the complete cast-including Matt Keeslar, Natalie Morales, Brit Morgan, Mary Pat Gleason, Jake Smollett, Mark Sheppard, Brendan Hines, Sarah Watson, Jordan Rosenberg, Margaret Dunlap, and Andy Reaser-reunite to celebrate the DVD release of The Middleman: The Complete Series from Shout! Factory, with an exclusive table read of the lost 13th episode, The Doomsday Armageddon Apocalypse, which was never produced for television but is now available as a graphic novel from Viper Comics. Room 6A
11:30-12:30 Hasbro: G.I. Joe
- The Hasbro design and marketing teams-Aaron Archer and Michelino Paolino (Hasbro Design), and Jeff Labovitz (Hasbro Marketing), discuss the upcoming release of the G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, the new toy line hitting shelves, the new video game, and much more! This panel will include special guests that you won't want to miss, plus Q&A time. Room 7AB
12:30-1:30 Richard Hatch: Battlestar Retrospective
- Moderated by actor/author Richard Hatch (Tom Zarek, Capt Apollo, author: So Say We All), with Bear McCreary (Battlestar Galactica, Eureka, Caprica composer), Michael Tayler (Battlestar Galactica, Caprica, Star Trek writer/producer), Kevin Grazier (Battlestar Galactica, Eureka, science consultant) and special guests, this panel provides a review, discussion and Q&A of Battlestar Galactica's past four seasons and dramatic ending. Includes the new BG 30th trailer. Room 6A
12:30-1:30 Hasbro: Transformers 2
- Want to see what's new with Transformers? Hasbro's design and marketing teams-Aaron Archer (Hasbro Brand IP Development), Jared Wade and Eric Siebenaler (Hasbro Design), and Michael Ballog and Matt Proulx (Hasbro Marketing)- present all the latest toys from the new Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen line. And get a sneak peek into what Hasbro is doing to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of Transformers in 2010! Room 7AB
12:45-1:45 Disney: Stan Lee's Time Jumper
- Don't miss Stan Lee and Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment as they present a special sneak peek of their new digital motion comic series Time Jumper. Comic book legend Stan Lee is joined by Natasha Henstridge (one of the character voices in Time Jumper), Omar Ponce (writer), and Anthony Diecidue (artist) for a Q&A session. Room 6BCF
12:45-1:30 3D Showcase: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, The Hole, The Final Destination- Get a first look at 3 brand new films in stunning 3D! First up, it's Columbia Pictures and Sony Animation's Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, inspired by the classic children's book, the film focuses on a town where food begins to fall from the sky like rain. See an extended 3D clip from this eagerly awaited animated film! Next up, legendary director Joe Dante (Gremlins 1 & 2, Innerspace, Explorers, The Howling) makes his return to the genre he knows best with the 3D thriller The Hole. Three kids come face to face with their darkest fears after they unlock a bottomless hole in the basement that makes their nightmares come to life. Join Dante-along with actress Haley Bennett (The Haunting of Molly Hartley)-as he discusses his return to thrillers, working in 3D, and The Hole. And finally, it's The Final Destination, the new film in the popular series from Warner Bros. See an exclusive clip in 3D, from the upcoming film. Hall H
1:15-2:15 USA Network's Psych
- James Roday (Shawn Spencer), Dulé Hill (Burton "Gus" Guster), Maggie Lawson (Juliet O'Hara), Tim Omundson (Carlton Lassiter), Corbin Bernsen (Henry Spencer), Steve Franks (creator and executive producer), and the entire creative team give you an all-access behind-the-scenes pass to the USA Network hit original series Psych. Stars and producers will share personal stories and answer questions about the show's genesis, episodic development, and production process. Video presentations created exclusively for Comic-Con will feature never-before-seen outtakes, a Season 4 exclusive preview, and a special video-diary segment that will take panel attendees inside the daily production process via the perspective of a staff writer, the Vancouver production team, and series star James Roday as he prepares to shoot a scene for the upcoming season. Plus, two lucky fans will find fame and fortune when they win the honor of having a guest character in a future episode named after them! You can also expect giveaways, exclusive merchandise, and a first-run preview copy of the upcoming Psych graphic novel from Oni Press! Ballroom 20
1:45-2:45 Summit Entertainment
- Summit Entertainment presents a sneak peek of exclusive footage of some of its upcoming major film releases!
- Astro Boy - A classic superhero origin story set in a futuristic world, Astro Boy is an all-new CG-animated feature film about a young robot with incredible powers and his adventure-filled journey in search of his identity and destiny. Join Freddie Highmore and Kristen Bell as they premiere the final trailer for Astro Boy before it's in theaters.
- Sorority Row - When five sorority girls inadvertently cause the murder of one of their sisters in a prank gone wrong, they agree to keep the matter to themselves and never speak of it again, so they can get on with their lives. This proves easier said than done, when after graduation a mysterious killer goes after the five of them and anyone who knows their secret. Join the cast of Sorority Row as they debut footage from the film exclusive to Comic-Con 2009.
- The Twilight Saga's New Moon - Summit Entertainment is proud to present the panel for The Twilight Saga's New Moon, the highly anticipated sequel to last year's box office smash Twilight. Surprise members of the cast will answer your questions about the second film in the series and debut never-before-seen footage from the new film.
2:00-3:00 Sony Pictures Animation: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
- In 2009, Columbia Pictures' and Sony Pictures Animation's Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs will be the most delicious event since macaroni met cheese. Inspired by the classic children's book, the film focuses on a town where food begins to fall from the sky like rain. Bill Hader (Saturday Night Live, Night at the Museum) is the voice of Flint Lockwood, a young inventor who dreams of creating something that will improve everyone's life. Anna Faris (The House Bunny) takes on the role of Sam Sparks, a weathergirl covering the phenomenon who hides her intelligence behind a perky exterior. James Caan plays Tim Lockwood, Flint's technophobic father. SNL's Andy Samberg plays Brent, the town bully who has plagued Flint since childhood. Bruce Campbell plays Mayor Shelbourne, who figures out that Flint's invention can put the town, and more importantly himself, on the map, and Mr. T plays the by-the-rules town cop, Earl Devereaux. Bobb'e J. Thompson (Role Models) is Carl Devereaux, Earl's son. Appearing in person: Anna Faris, Bill Hader, Andy Samberg, Bobb'e J. Thompson, and directors Chris Miller and Phil Lord. Room 6BCF
2:30-3:30 DVD/Blu-ray Producers 2009: Now in Glorious High-Definition!
- Bill Hunt, Adam Jahnke, and Todd Doogan (of The Digital Bits.com), talk about the latest DVD and Blu-ray developments with some of the leading special-edition producers in Hollywood! Panelists include Robert Meyer Burnett (The Hills Run Red, Free Enterprise: The Wrath of Shatner), Laura Gross (Coraline, 9), Charles de Lauzirika (Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Ridley Scott's Robin Hood), David Naylor (Fringe, Bad Lieutenant), and Cliff Stephenson (Crank High Voltage, Gamer). You can expect inside talk, a Q&A, and a sneak peek at great upcoming discs! Room 7AB
2:30-3:30 USA Network's Burn Notice
- Bruce Campbell (Sam Axe), Matt Nix (creator and executive producer) and Alfredo Barrios, Jr. (co-executive producer) host a panel discussion and answer questions about the creative process of evolving an embryonic idea into a finished episode of cable's #1 hit show. Fans will gain an intimate look inside the world of Burn Notice, complete with war stories from the writer's room and filming on location in Miami. Exclusive video content will include tips on how to survive Comic-Con from your favorite burned spy, Michael Westen (played by Jeffrey Donovan), highlights from the previous two seasons, and an exclusive sneak peek at future season 3 episodes, including the half-season finale and beyond. Ballroom 20
3:00-4:00 Bill Plympton: King of Indie Animation
- Animator Bill Plympton (Idiots and Angels) presents Horn Dog, the fourth smash installment in his famed, Oscar-nominated "Dog" series. Bill will screen some of his new animated shorts, including Mexican Standoff and Santa: The Fascist Years and present some early scenes from his work-in-progress feature film Hanky Panky. Bill will also be available for Q&A after the screening, and all attendees will get a free Bill Plympton drawing. Room 5AB
3:00-4:00 Robot Chicken with Titan Maximum
- Seth Green (co-creator, Robot Chicken and Titan Maximum), Matthew Senreich (co-creator, Robot Chicken and Titan Maximum), Tom Root (head writer, Robot Chicken/co-creator, Titan Maximum) and Doug Goldstein (head writer, Robot Chicken) with Chris McKay, Breckin Meyer, Kevin Shinick, Mike Fasolo, and Dan Milano discuss the popular Adult Swim series Robot Chicken. They will also discuss the upcoming new stop-motion animated series Titan Maximum, slated to premiere on Adult Swim this fall. Join this meet-up of show creators, writers and voice actors for a Q&A, moderated by Keith Crofford, vice president of Adult Swim production. Room 6A
3:00-4:15 20th Century Fox and James Cameron present Avatar
- In this first public screening of footage in 3D from his much-anticipated action/adventure/fantasy, James Cameron, producer Jon Landau, and cast members take you to a spectacular new world beyond imagination. Conceived 14 years ago and over four years in the making, Avatar breaks new ground in delivering a fully immersive, emotional story and reinvents the movie-going experience. Hall H
3:00-4:00 Tetsuo for the 21st Century
- The maverick filmmaker Shinya Tsukamoto (Tetsuo), will have a premiere talk on his secret plans for the movie tentatively called Tetsuo Project. Tsukamoto will reveal the details of this first English language installment of Tetsuo, the third legendary cyberpunk action thriller from Tokyo. Be among the first to witness the official title announcement as well as an exclusive sneak peek at the movie-only for the Comic-Con audience! Room 32AB
3:30-4:30 Joe Dante: The Hole
- Legendary director Joe Dante (Gremlins 1 & 2, Innerspace, Explorers, The Howling) makes his return to the genre he knows best with the 3D thriller The Hole. Three kids come face to face with their darkest fears after they unlock a bottomless hole in the basement that makes their nightmares come to life. Join Dante-along with actress Haley Bennett (The Haunting of Molly Hartley)-as he discusses his return to thrillers, working in 3D, and The Hole. Hall H
4:15-5:15 Cartoon Network: Chowder! The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack! Adventure Time with Finn and Jake!
- This panel celebrates three of the best comedies from Cartoon Network Studios. First up is a sweet treat with Chowder, including special guests C. H. Greenblatt (creator) and Tara Strong (voice of Truffles). Then set sail with The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack and creator Thurop Van Orman (voice of Flapjack) and Steve Little (writer, voice of fan favorite Dr. Barber). Finally, hold onto your seats for a sneak peek of the new series Adventure Time with Finn and Jake with creator Pendelton Ward. It's algebraic! Room 6A
4:30-5:15 Terry Gilliam's The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
- Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of both Comic-Con and Monty Python, we welcome the sole American Python, the great animator and director Terry Gilliam (Time Bandits, Brazil, 12 Monkeys) to introduce you to his new film starring Christopher Plummer, Johnny Depp, Heath Ledger, Colin Farrell, Jude Law, Verne Troyer, Tom Waits, and Lily Cole. Dr. Parnassus is a fabulous anachronism, touring the streets of modern-day London in a horse-drawn carnival wagon accompanied by his beautiful daughter, devoted dwarf, and neophyte barker. On stage Parnassus plays a holy man whose Imaginarium can realize the innermost fantasies of all who dare to enter. Backstage, he is a drunkard, a gambler who centuries ago lost a wager with the Devil and must now pony up with his daughter once she turns sixteen. Tomorrow. Yet, there may still be hope for the Doctor and Valentina in the person of Tony, a well-dressed amnesic they rescue from a perilous fate and invite into their world of unrelenting magic and possibility. Hall H
4:45-5:45 Legend of the Seeker
- A sneak peek at the highly anticipated second season of the action-adventure series Legend of the Seeker from executive producers Ken Biller (Star Trek: Voyager), Sam Raimi (Spider-Man), Rob Tapert (Xena), Ned Nalle (Hercules), and Josh Donen (Drag Me to Hell) and starring Craig Horner, Bridget Regan and Bruce Spence. Inspired by Terry Goodkind's bestselling epic fantasy series The Sword of Truth, Richard, Kahlan and Zedd will soon discover that after defeating Darken Rahl, they inadvertently opened a rift into the underworld. Premiering in November, join a few of the executive producers, cast members, and Terry Goodkind for this moderated interview and audience Q&A session! Room 6DE
5:00-6:00 Showtime: Dexter
- Calling all Dexter fans! If you're a Dexter fanatic and can't wait for the new season, you don't want to miss this killer panel! Moderator Ralph Garman (KROQ Entertainment Reporter) presides over a revealing interview and Q&A session with the stars and executive producers of Dexter. Plus, get an exclusive first look at clips from the new season! Featured panelists include series star/executive producer Michael C. Hall (Dexter), Julie Benz (Rita), Jennifer Carpenter (Deb), and executive producers John Goldwyn, Sara Colleton, Clyde Phillips, and Melissa Rosenberg. The new season premieres September 27 at 9:00 PM EST/PST only on Showtime! Ballroom 20
5:15-5:45 Overture Pictures: Pandorum
- Don't fear the end of the world. Fear what happens next. From the producers of the Resident Evil film franchise comes a terrifying thriller in which two crewmembers wake up on an abandoned spacecraft with no idea who they are, how long they've been asleep, or what their mission is. The two soon discover they're actually not alone-and the reality of their situation is more horrifying than they could have imagined. Appearing in person to give you a taste of Pandorum are stars Ben Foster (X-Men: The Last Stand, 3:10 to Yuma, 30 Days of Night), Cung Le (The Ultimate Fighter), and Antje Traue. Pandorum is in theaters September 18. Hall H
- World premiere footage from Kick-Ass, based on Mark Millar's bestselling comic, is presented by director Matthew Vaughn (Stardust, Layer Cake). Joining him on the panel are Nicolas Cage, Christopher Mintz-Plasse (Superbad), and comic co-creator John Romita Jr., among others, including a surprise guest. You don't want to miss the chance to be the first to experience this gritty, brash, and funny actioner. Hall H
6:30-7:00 Focus Features: Thirst- Focus Features and Comic-Con present a rare U.S. appearance by acclaimed Korean filmmaker Park Chan-wook, whose "scandalous vampire melodrama" Thirst just won the Prix du Jury (Jury Prize) at the 2009 Cannes International Film Festival. Sang-hyun (played by top Korean star Song Kang-ho, of The Host) is a priest who cherishes life; so much so, that he selflessly volunteers for a secret vaccine development project meant to eradicate a deadly virus. But the virus takes the priest, and a blood transfusion is urgently ordered for him. The blood he receives is infected, so he lives-but now exists as a vampire. Sang-hyun soon plunges into a world of sensual pleasures, finding himself on intimate terms with the Seven Deadly Sins. Park will show clips from the movie- which opens in select cities on July 31-and discuss his career. Hall H
7:00-8:00 Comedy Central's Drawn Together Movie Roundtable
- Join co-creators Matt Silverstein and Dave Jeser and stars Foxxy Love, Cree Summer (Transformers: Animated) and Wooldoor Sockbat/The Jew Producer, James Arnold Taylor (Star Wars: The Clone Wars), as they discuss The Drawn Together Movie and host a roundtable discussion on the politics of religion in the workplace and where to get a decent sandwich. Room 6BCF
8:00-9:30 Green Lantern: First Flight World Premiere
- Warner Home Video, Warner Premiere, DC Comics and Warner Bros. Animation proudly present the World Premiere of Green Lantern: First Flight, the fifth DC Universe animated original PG-13 movie. Green Lantern: First Flight finds Hal Jordan recruited to join the Green Lantern Corps and placed under the supervision of respected senior Lantern Sinestro. The earthling soon discovers his mentor is actually the central figure in a secret conspiracy that threatens the philosophies, traditions and hierarchy of the entire Green Lantern Corps. Hal must quickly hone his newfound powers and combat the treasonous Lanterns within the ranks to maintain order in the universe. Christopher Meloni (Law & Order: Special Victims Unit) leads the cast as the voice of Hal Jordan aka Green Lantern. The cast includes Emmy Award nominee Victor Garber (Milk, Titanic), Tricia Helfer (Battlestar Galactica), Michael Madsen (Reservoir Dogs), Juliet Landau (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), and John Larroquette (Night Court). Produced by animation legend Bruce Timm, Green Lantern: First Flight is directed by Lauren Montgomery (Wonder Woman) and scripted by four-time Emmy Award-winning writer Alan Burnett (The Batman). Warner Home Video will release Green Lantern: First Flight on Blu-ray Hi-Def and DVD on July 28, 2009. Ballroom 20
9:30-12:00 Halloween Comes Early: Trick 'r Treat Screening
- Be among the first to see writer/director Michael Dougherty's (Superman Returns, X2: X-Men United) creepy, darkly comic celebration of the scariest night of the year. Trick 'r Treat takes the Creepshow/Tales from the Crypt approach to nefarious new depths with four interwoven tales set on Halloween night: a high school principal who moonlights as a vicious serial killer; a young virgin whose quest for that special someone takes a gruesome turn; a group of teens who carry out a cruel prank with disastrous consequences; and a cantankerous old man who battles a mischievous trick-or-treating demon. Prior to the screening, Ain't It Cool News mogul Harry Knowles will moderate a panel featuring Michael Dougherty and members of the cast, including Anna Paquin (True Blood, X-Men), Tahmoh Penikett (Battlestar Galactica, Dollhouse), and Brian Cox (The Bourne Identity, X2: X-Men United). A collection of creepy stories that mixes fun with fear, candy with poison, and laughter with screams, the critically acclaimed Trick 'r Treat will be released on Blu-ray Hi-Def and DVD and On Demand by Warner Home Video in October. Ballroom 20
Best of the Web
Transformers 5 Lands Carmichael Show Star Jerrod Carmichael
The Carmichael Show star/creator Jerrod Carmichael has joined Mark Wahlberg and Isabela Moner in Michael Bay's Transformers 5.
Bumblebee Spinoff Is a Low Budget Transformers Movie?
Paramount's Brad Grey teases that the Transformers BumbleBee spinoff will be made at a 'lower cost,' while teasing future projects as well.
Transformers Bumblebee Spinoff Movie Is Coming in 2018
Hasbro has confirmed that their 2018 Transformers 6 movie is a Bumblebee origin story.
Transformers 5, 6 and & 7 Annual Release Dates Announced
Paramount Pictures has announced that the next three Transformers sequels will arrive over the next four years.
Transformers 5 Begins Shooting in May
Director Michael Bay will return to direct his final installment of the blockbuster franchise with Transformers 5 starting production this summer.
Michael Bay Will Direct Transformers 5
Michael Bay confirms that he will direct Transformers 5, claiming that this will be his last movie before passing the franchise to someone else.