Xavier Gens and Christopher Smith Board The ABCs of Death
Drafthouse Films, Timpson Films and Magnet Releasing have secured genre heavyweights Xavier Gens (Frontier(s), Hitman) and Christopher Smith (Severance, Black Death) to join Noburo Iguchi (RoboGeisha) and Kaare Andrews (Altitude) along with 21 other directors to make up the talented roster behind The ABCs of Death, a twenty-six chapter anthology feature that showcases death letter by letter. The 26th Director spot will be determined by short film competition to discover an aspiring new talent. The winning filmmaker will receive a $5000 cash prize and will be included in the final release of the film.
Participants will choose their own word and create a short film based off the letter "T." The interpretation of the word and the format of the short film will be entirely up to competitors. The top 10 shorts will be determined by public voting and the winning director will be selected by the 25 The ABCs of Death directors to become the 26th and final director.
"We expect a lot of talented folks around the world to step up to this challenge, I just hope someone attempts T is for Tabanid (blood-sucking insect) or Taws (a thong used for punishment)" said Ant Timpson.
Submissions are open now and close on October 1 at midnight PST, and there is no entry fee to submit. Finalists will be announced October 31st and the winning filmmaker announced on November 15th. For more on the competition dates, parameters and rules, visit theabcsofdeath.com/the-26th-director.
Jason Eisener, one of The ABCs of Death directors, was propelled to a career in feature films after he won the Grindhouse Trailer Contest with his entry for Hobo with a Shotgun. Jason Eisener went on to turn the winning fake movie trailer into a full-length feature. The ABCs of Death "26th Director" competition offers the same kind of opportunity to aspiring directors with the hope of introducing some new blood to genre films.
Complete list of confirmed ABC Directors:
- Kaare Andrews (Altitude)
- Angela Bettis (Scar)
- Ernesto Díaz Espinoza (Mandrill)
- Jason Eisener (Hobo with a Shotgun)
- Bruno Forzani and Hélène Cattet (Amer)
- Adrian Garcia Bogliano (Cold Sweat)
- Xavier Gens (Frontier(s), Hitman)
- Noburo Iguchi (RoboGeisha)
- Thomas Cappelen Malling (Norwegian Ninja)
- Yoshihiro Nishimura (Gore Police, Vampire Girl Vs. Frankenstein Girl)
- J.T. Petty (The Burrowers)
- Banjong Pisanthanakun (Shutter)
- Simon Rumley (The Living and the Dead; Red White & Blue)
- Marcel Sarmiento (Deadgirl)
- Christopher Smith (Black Death, Triangle)
- Srdjan Spasojevic (A Serbian Film)
- Timo Tjahjanto (Macabre)
- Andrew Traucki (Black Water)
- Nacho Vigalondo (Timecrimes)
- Jake West (Doghouse, Evil Aliens)
- Ti West (The House of the Devil, The Innkeepers)
- Ben Wheatley (Down Terrace, Kill List)
- Adam Wingard (A Horrible Way to Die)
- Anders Wulffmorgenthaler (Princess)
- Yûdai Yamaguchi (Yakuza Weapon, Battlefield Baseball)