Film Independent, the non-profit arts organization that produces the The Independent Spirit Awards and the Los Angeles Film Festival, announced nominations for the 2012 Film Independent Spirit Awards this morning. Anthony Mackie and Kate Beckinsale served as presenters. Nominees for Best Feature include 50/50, Beginners, Drive, Take Shelter and The Artist.
Margin Call was selected to receive the annual Robert Altman Award, which is bestowed upon one film's director, casting director and ensemble cast.
"The Independent Spirit Awards recognize the finest artistic achievements across the broad spectrum of independent filmmaking-from emerging talent working on a shoestring budget to established auteurs," said Film Independent Senior Director Sean Mc Manus. "The 2012 nominees tell their stories in such an authentic way and reflect the inclusive nature of the independent filmmaking community. We are delighted to support them and expand the audience for their work."
"Sean Mc Manus focuses primarily on American independents, so it was an honor to serve alongside an esteemed and dedicated group of indie film colleagues to determine many of the 2012 nominees," said producer and Chair of the American Narrative Feature Nominating Committee Gail Mutrux. "It was an invigorating process-experiencing first-hand the vast array of storytelling that defines independent film, and discovering many new talents whose films inspired us."
Winners will be announced at The Independent Spirit Awards on Saturday, February 25, 2012. The 27th annual awards ceremony will be held as a daytime luncheon in a tent on the beach in Santa Monica, and the premiere broadcast will air later that evening at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT on IFC. Winners of the Spirit Awards Filmmaker Grants will be highlighted during the awards ceremony and announced at the Film Independent Spirit Awards Nominee Brunch on Saturday, January 14, 2012 at BOA Steakhouse in West Hollywood.
The Spirit Awards Nominating Committees selected nominees from 277 submissions this year and applied the following guidelines in determining the nominations: uniqueness of vision, original and provocative subject matter, economy of means (with particular attention paid to total production cost & individual compensation), and percentage of financing from independent sources.
- 50/50 - Producers: Evan Goldberg, Ben Karlin, Seth Rogen
- Beginners - Producers: Miranda de Pencier, Lars Knudsen, Leslie Urdang, Dean Vanech, Jay Van Hoy
- Drive - Producers: Michel Litvak, John Palermo, Marc Platt, Gigi Pritzker, Adam Siegel
- Take Shelter - Producers: Tyler Davidson, Sophia Lin
- The Artist - Producer: Thomas Langmann
- The Descendants - Producers: Jimmy Burke, Alexander Payne, Jim Taylor
- Another Earth - Director: Mike Cahill Producers: Mike Cahill, Hunter Gray, Brit Marling, Nicholas Shumaker
- In the Family - Director: Patrick Wang Producers: Robert Tonino, Andrew van den Houten, Patrick Wang
- Margin Call - Director: J.C. Chandor Producers: Robert Ogden Barnum, Michael Benaroya, Neal Dodson, Joe Jenckes, Corey Moosa, Zachary Quinto
- Martha Marcy May Marlene - Director: Sean Durkin Producers: Antonio Campos, Patrick Cunningham, Chris Maybach, Josh Mond
- Natural Selection - Director: Robbie Pickering Producers: Brion Hambel, Paul Jensen
- Bellflower - Writer/Director: Evan Glodell Producers: Evan Glodell, Vincent Grashaw
- Circumstance - Writer/Director: Maryam Keshavarz Producers: Karin Chien, Maryam Keshavarz, Melissa M. Lee
- Hello Lonesome - Writer/Director/Producer: Adam Reid
- Pariah - Writer/Director: Dee Rees Producer: Nekisa Cooper
- The Dynamiter - Writer: Brad Inglesby Director: Matthew Gordon Producers: Kevin Abrams, Matthew Gordon, Merilee Holt, Art Jones, Mike Jones, Nate Tuck, Amile Wilson
- An African Election - Director/Producer: Jarreth J. Merz
- Bill Cunningham New York - Director: Richard Press Producer: Philip Gefter
- The Interrupters - Director/Producer: Steve James Producer: Alex Kotlowitz
- The Redemption of General Butt Naked - Director/Producers: Eric Strauss, Daniele Anastasion
- We Were Here - Director/Producer: David Weissman
- Simon Arthur - Silver Tongues
- Mark Jackson - Without
- Nicholas Ozeki - Mamitas
- Heather Courtney - Where Soldiers Come From
- Danfung Dennis - Hell and Back Again
- Alma Har'el - Bombay Beach