All five films up for Worst Picture at this year's 36th Annual Razzie Awards are big budget/high profile productions that have no excuse for being among the year's "berry" worst. And 2015's acting contenders include popular stars like Johnny Depp, Channing Tatum, and Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting, previous Oscar winners Gwyneth Paltrow, Eddie Redmayne and Julianne Moore, and such Razzie Repeat Offenders as Adam Sandler, Jennifer Lopez and Katherine Heigl. "Winners" will be announced in intentionally tacky ceremony scheduled for 8pm/PST on Saturday February 27 -- Oscar eve.
The choices for Worst Picture include Fifty Shades of Grey (2015's "Most Successful Bad Movie"), Fantastic Four (a nearly instant remake that flopped with both critics and movie-goers), Jupiter Ascending (the latest sci-fi fiasco from Andy Wachowski & Lana Wachowski), Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 (a box office hit despite its 95% negative rating at Rotten Tomatoes) and Adam Sandler's latest excuse for a movie, the 80's video game-themed Pixels. A complete list of all nominees can be found below. There is also a Nominations announcement video on The YouTube RAZZIE Channel.
For this year's 9 regular Razzie categories, contenders and "winners" are determined by seeking online votes from over 900 Voting Razzie Members throughout 47 U.S. states and 21 foreign countries. For the 10th category, The Razzie Redeemer Award, (which acknowledges past Razzie "winners" who've gone on to do better work) the honoree will be decided by a public vote of users at popular movie review website Rotten Tomatoes.
The Razzies were created in 1980 as the comical counterpoint to Tinsel Town's annual glut of self congratulatory awards by John Wilson, author of The Official Razzie Movie Guide and Everything I Know I Learned At The Movies. For more info on the awards or their history, visit The Official Razzie Website or the IMDb page, follow the Razzies on Facebook and Twitter, or visit the YouTube RAZZIE Channel. Take a look at the 36th Annual Golden Raspberry (RAZZIE®) Awards Nominees below.
- Fantastic Four (screenplay by Simon Kinberg, Jeremy Slater and Josh Trank, Based on the Marvel comic book by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby)
- Fifty Shades of Grey (screenplay by Kelly Marcel, Based on the Novel by E.L. James)
- Jupiter Ascending (written by Andy Wachowski and Lana Wachowski)
- Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 (screenplay by Kevin James & Nick Bakay)
- Pixels (screenplay by Tim Herlihy and Timothy Dowling, Story by Tim Herlihy, Based on a Work by Patrick Jean)
RAZZIE REDEEMER AWARD
- Elizabeth Banks (Razzie "Winner" for Movie 43, Multiple Hit Movies This Year)
- M. Night Shyamalan (Perennial Razzie nominee & "winner," director of The Visit)
- Will Smith (For following up After Earth with Concussion)
- Sylvester Stallone (All-Time Razzie Champ, award contender for Creed)