Mel Gibson's Mayan epic is coming to the small screen!
Oscar®-winning director Mel Gibson's (Best Director for Braveheart) latest cinematic innovation, the mythic action-adventure Apocalypto, will be released on DVD May 22, 2007, by Touchstone Home Entertainment. The relentless epic received rave reviews at the box office; Peter Travers of Rolling Stone called Apocalypto "pure adrenaline."
The DVD special features include an in-depth look at the making of Apocalypto, including "Becoming Mayan", a making-of featurette exploring ancient Mayan culture and the mechanics behind the cinematic tour de force; a deleted scene with optional commentary; and feature-length commentary by Gibson and co-writer Farhad Safinia.
Gibson, whose filmmaking mantle boasts a pair of Oscar® statuettes (Best Picture and Best Director for Braveheart), took advantage of a lush tropical setting to flesh out a high-energy tale of one man's quest to save his life and family. In the twilight of the mysterious Mayan civilization, young Jaguar Paw (newcomer Rudy Youngblood) is captured and taken to the great Mayan city, where he faces a harrowing end. Driven by the power of his love for his wife and son, he makes an adrenaline-soaked, heart-racing escape to rescue them, and ultimately save his way of life. Filled with unrelenting action and stunning cinematography, Apocalypto is an enthralling and unforgettable film experience.
- Becoming Mayan: Making-of featurette and exploration into the mysteries of ancient Mayan civilization
- Exclusive Feature Length Commentary: Writer/Director Mel Gibson and co-writer Farhad Safinia share secrets of their cinematic mastery
- Deleted Scene: With optional commentary from Gibson and Safinia
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 138 minutes
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen, 1.85:1
- Sound: Dolby® Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
- Languages: English, Spanish and French subtitles.
- CC: Yes
Dont't forget to also check out: Apocalypto