You can relive Mel Gibson in all his face-painted glory in 1080p this September. Braveheart will be released in Blu-ray on September 1. The release will be one of the first in Paramount Home Entertainment's brand new Sapphire Series Blu-ray line and, although we don't have pricing details, you can take a look at the special features and cover art below. The film stars Mel Gibson, Catherine McCormack, Brendan Gleeson, Brian Cox and Sophie Marceau.
Braveheart Blu-ray Disc
William Wallace is a Scottish rebel who leads an uprising against the cruel English ruler Edward the Longshanks, who wishes to inherit the crown of Scotland for himself. When he was a young boy, William Wallace's father and brother, along with many others, lost their lives trying to free Scotland. Once he loses another of his loved ones, William Wallace begins his long quest to make Scotland free once and for all, along with the assistance of Robert the Bruce.
- Interactive Timelines-Three distinct timelines featuring a combination of video, images, text and audio that can be accessed linearly or randomly.
- - Production: A comprehensive chronology of the motion picture from conception through theatrical release, from a behind-the-scenes point of view.
- - Historical: Chronological modules feature Scotland's greatest patriot, along with historical places, figures and events surrounding his life and struggle.
- - Fiction: A comprehensive timeline identifying the chronological events of the film.
- - Braveheart: A Look Back- Features new interviews with members of the cast and crew reminiscing about their experiences making the film and its enduring impact on cinema.
- - Smithfield: Medieval Killing Fields-Relates the remarkable history of Smithfield, which for centuries was regularly filled with the roars of crowds, regal fanfares and rowdy games. Smithfield is also known as the site of William Wallace's execution, along with other terrifying spectacles when heretics, rebels and criminals were put to death.
- - Battlefields of the Scottish Rebellion- Two major Scottish battlefields, Falkirk and Bannockburn, will be presented as 3D models that can be explored for further investigation into the military strategies and timetables employed in each. Topography, weapons, troop movements, and leadership data can also be accessed. An alternate playing mode will allow the story of each battle to unfold in an "automated" fashion, much like the interactive dioramas displayed at historical site museums around the world.