Even though the summer moviegoing season has ended, fall means trailer season, and from late September through December, we'll finally get our first look at all the exciting summer movies coming in 2016. One of the most anticipated is Marvel's first Phase 3 adventure Captain America: Civil War. While the film doesn't hit theaters for another 9 months, the trailer is just mere weeks, maybe even days, away. The first footage was shown off for fans at D23. Now, an extended, alternate version of that teaser trailer has premiered at Asiapop Comicon in Malaysia. And of course, we're getting plenty of descriptions of it.
If there's one thing Marvel knows how to do, it's build anticipation for its upcoming movies. We'll get two in 2016 starting with Captain America: Civil War in May, followed by Doctor Strange in November. These two movies will kick off Phase 3, an epic line-up of superhero adventures that also include Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Inhumans and the two part Avengers: Infinity War. Captain America: Civil War will set the stage for all of these movies, and is bringing in every hero yet introduced in the MCU save for Hulk and Thor, who are off doing their own thing. While this is technically Captain America 3, it is a direct continuation of the events seen in Avengers: Age of Ultron.
Captain America: Civil War will build its foundation on a growing tension between Tony Stark and Steve Rogers as they butt heads over the Sokovia Accords, which asks people with superpowers to be held responsible for their actions, and to abide by the rules of a one world government. While fans impatiently await a first look at the movie, we have to rely on those exclusive audience members lucky enough to get a taste at D23 and AsiaPop. Fans in the Philippines have offered their take on the footage, and it sounds like it was very similar to what D23 attendees got back in August.
This latest sneak peek does contain some new scenes. The fight between Black Widow and Hawkeye has been extended. Hawkeye lands some pretty heavy blows, possibly seriously wounding his former partner. The Ant-Man scene has also been extended. Scott Lang thanks Captain America for bringing him on board. More than ever, this trailer pushes home the fact that Paul Rudd is being set up as the comedic relief in the movie. At one point, Lang reaches out and pokes Steve's pectoral muscle. Yup, it's nice and firm.
As you may know, the movie is set to divide the heroes straight down the middle. This latest trailer hints that Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow may be acting as a double agent. One scene shows her bringing a report to Tony Stark and General Ross after having conspired with Steve Rogers. Also teased are newcomer Chadwick Boseman's Black Panther and more of Paul Bettany as Vision. Though Vision and Scarlet Witch are an item in the comic books, it looks like they will be going fist-to-fist in this upcoming sequel. And Falcon will arrive to give the Witch a much needed assist.
While Marvel's Civil War goes much darker than any of their films we've seen come before it, there will be some much needed levity. One scene in the new AsiaPop trailer shows Bucky Barns and Steve Rogers sharing a much-needed, and long-coming hug. Both the D23 trailer and the AsiaPop Comicon trailer have been met by the fans with much enthusiasm. And it seems as though Marvel is trying to build some very strong word of mouth before giving the general public their first taster spoon. High expectations can be a dangerous thing. Hopeful the first Captain America: Civil War won't disappoint.
ComicBookMovie was able to cull a variety of Tweets for a better description of the trailer. Reddit user Murdock Manila has possibly the best account of what was shown. You can read her full report here. The highlights include the following:
"Iron Man fighting both Captain America and the Winter Soldier. Iron Man throwing Cap, but not seeing Bucky and then getting subsequently punched in the face. This is probably a misdirection, but Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow is apparently the rumored double agent and it sounds like she double crosses Cap. She is shown reporting to the government, including General Ross and Tony Stark, before her showdown with Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye. More of the Black Widow/Hawkeye fight; Natasha looks to be in bad shape after Clint delivers a big blow. Vision fighting both Falcon & Scarlet Witch. More of the scene where Ant-Man thanks Cap for letting him be a part of the team. This time, Scott apparently pulls a Peggy and touches Steve's pecs to feel how big/firm they are at some point during the conversation. Daniel Brühl's Baron Zemo makes an appearance. Steve and Bucky hugging it out."
- Redwing seriously looks amazing!! The trailer does open with Cap's team in the African Market. Falcon mans a stealthy Redwing making its way under a van filled with explosives. Cap orders the team to attack. Falcon does an super awesome dive from the rooftop he's in and doesn't pull out his wings until landing closely.
- We see another van open and Crossbones steps up along with his goons; with the most prominent goon being Ex-Thanos actor Damion Poitier.. Black Widow makes her way to the market in a very cool tracking shot reminiscent of her sequence in IM2 and does her signature leg wrap on Poiter. Falcon also does a pretty cool set of combat moves utilizing his wings.
- You know those on set pics of Cap and the crowd screaming at something above them in fear? It's Cap throwing a grenade in the air. Someone fires a grenade at him (I think it's Crossbones) and it latches on to his shield. Cap tosses it in the air before it explodes. As Cap flinches at the air explosion, Crossbones kicks him hard from behind and their fight happens. I didn't notice anything different from the D23 descriptions in this one. Cap dismantles one of Crossbones' gauntlets pretty quickly. Crossbones then pops a blade out of the other gauntlet. Again, Cap beats him up and cracks his helmet. We don't get a good look at Rumlow's burnt face here.
- VO by General Ross - looking a lot slimmer since his TIH appearance. Talks about vigilantism. We see a shot of - what looks like - Steve Rogers preventing a helicopter from crashing in slowmo. He pushes it away with one hand as his other hand is against a railing. We see his Avengers team going through a series of control rooms. They are led by Martin Freeman's character. In the blink-and-youll-miss-it moments he had, definitely felt more like a Henry Gyrich than an Everett Ross.
- The Ant-Man post credits scene happens. Bucky does remember Steve. He tells him his mother's name and how he used to put newspaper in his shoes - you know D23 stuff. Best part of this scene is how Bucky delivers that line with an expression of relief and pain. Steve does a heartfelt smile. You just know how happy he is to have his bestfriend back.
- Quick cuts of what looks like Cap smashing a soldier into a column. Bucky in his red jacket outfit punching other soldiers. Several shots of Crossbone with a different looking mask; this time with a yellow looking visor. These Crossbone shots are intersected with scenes that are set in this building. We get to see that truck flip.. More shots of Crossbones walking down a hall. Lots of flickering lights in what appears to be the control center I mentioned earlier.
- One of the more interesting shots in the trailer was Cap and Bucky walking in snow towards a secret looking base in full superhero attire. The shot was barely 2 seconds but man did Bucky & Cap standing side by side in a mission look fucking good.
- Holy shit that shot of the funeral scene. You see that scene happening - where they're carrying the casket in the aisle - and how beautifully framed it was, expect the tears to flow. Considering how we pretty much know who's funeral that is, Cap carrying the casket makes this scene heartbreaking to watch.
- Those Tony Stark lines to Steve about how he wanted to punch him in his perfect teeth? I was expecting it to be during a fight. Those scenes were set in a conference room, probably from the same venue where those control rooms are. We see a helmetless Iron Man open an elevator door with his hands and he has a huge black eye. Another with Tony Stark walking behind General Ross.
- Super fast glances at the other heroes. Hawkeye doing Hawkeye stuff with his bow. The Vision pondering as he plays chess in a suit. There's also a super fast shot of Black Panther revealing his claws as he's locking up against Hawkeye's bow.
- We then see that infamous airport fight scene thanks to those leaked pics from a few weeks back. The money shot of Cap's team running though the tarmac was unimpressive to be honest. One dude online said it best - "It looked like the scene in Anchorman when all the news teams converged in that alley and fought.". It looked really goofy and awkward. But then again, this is the D23 trailer they cut a month ago. A ton could be added to that scene for some kickass superhero flair.
- That end tag with Ant-Man was what you'd expect it to be. The theater went insane just seeing Paul Rudd in the trailer. He's going to be one of the best additions in the movie no doubt. He cops a feel of Steve's pecs.