For the fourth year in a row, Comic-Con fans saw, umm, Saw. The filmmakers and cast behind the latest installment of this popular franchise, Saw V. This year the panel consisted producers Olen Koules and Marc Berg, director David Hackl, actors Tobin Bell, Julie Benz, Betsy Russell, Costas Mandylor and Scott Patterson along with the screenwriters Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton.
After this talented line-up was brought out to rip-roaring applause, writers Dunstan and Melton were asked what the challenges of upping the so-called ante every time around.
"Well, the Saw franchise has prided itself on being an aggressive puzzle within itself," Dunstan said. "With these directors, these producers and these actors, they've assured that every time someone watches one of these scary, viscious stories, that it rewards coming back again and again and again. Five's no different. We're gonna kick your ass back into the seat."
Here are some other highlights from the panel:
- Producer Marc Burg joked that there was a running bet going that within 15 minutes of the panel ending, their new footage would be on YouTube. "By 9:15 I expect to see it on the computer," Berg said. Laughter ensued.
- Koules announces that they're about to show us a brand new clip that features a solid new trap. He was half-right... since we did see a new trap, but it was, in fact, the new teaser trailer, and not the new footage. Take a look at this new teaser below
- Scott Patterson then talked about that intricate trap, saying it was one of the most terrifying experiences of his life and that he had to be persuaded to actually finish the trap. It appeared he was actually shook up in real life just talking about the part, although, joking, he added, "My heart is racing talking about it. Leave me alone!"
- Patterson also praised Tobin Bell for his work ethic and inspiration on the film.
- To close out the panel, we were shown the actual new clip with the new trap. We don't have the footage, but here's the gist of it:
- A man wakes up strapped to an iron bed, with his feet shackled and metal braces around his neck and chest.
- Of course, the TV comes on and we se our favorite puppet once more who informs this man, who has taken others lives with his own hands, that he must sacrifice his own hands in order to save his own life.
- He must stick his hands in these vise-grip-like devices, within a certain amount of time...
- ... or else a razor-sharp swinging pendulum will continue to lower until it first just makes contact with his flesh, and will eventually slice him in two.
Saw V hits theaters on October 24.