30 Days of Night is coming to DVD and Blu-Ray on February 26, and we wanted to celebrate this wonderful new dark disc, high-def style. We're giving away copies of the Blu-Ray version of this David Slade film, and these will surely go fast, so enter up as fast as your fingers can fly!
- 30 Days of Night Blu-Ray disc
CLICK HERE to enter this huge giveaway!
Hard Candy director David Slade took the helm for this adaptation of Steve Niles' terrifying comic-book series of the same name. In Barrow, Alaska, one night can last an eternity. One month every year, this town is plunged into darkness for 30 days due to its location on the far north of the Arctic Circle. While extended periods of darkness are something that the locals have become accustomed to, this year something sinister is about to emerge from the long and unforgiving night. As a maniacal horde of vampires assume control of the city streets and commence to freely feasting on the terrified citizens, the local sheriff (Josh Hartnett), his wife (Melissa George), and a small but resilient band of survivors will be forced to choose between saving themselves or helping the few remaining members of their community survive the blood-soaked siege. Original comic creator Niles collaborated with screenwriters Stuart Beattie and Brian Nelson to pen a film produced under Sam Raimi's Ghost House Pictures banner.
- Commentary with Josh Hartnett, Melissa George and Producer Rob Tapert
- 8 Behind-the-Scenes Featurettes
- "Pre-Production" - As the script powers its way through development, Director David Slade and Producer Rob Tapert begin to assemble a team. See everything from high-tension story meetings with Writer Brian Nelson, to Slade picking out his equipment and crew. Also Steve Niles discusses the beginnings of his idea for the graphic novel.
- "Building Barrow" - Production Designer Paul Austerberry takes the viewer through the steps in bringing Barrow to life on a sound stage in New Zealand. See side-by-side comparisons with Barrow as envisioned in the graphic novel, as well as meeting the construction crew and tracking their progress.
- "The Look" - Director David Slade and his Director of Photography Jo Willems tackle the challenge of bringing the graphic novel to life on the screen. Learn about the important camera decisions, lighting techniques, and post-production tricks involved in creating the look of 30 Days of Night.
- "Blood, Guts and the Nasty #@$&!" - From prosthetic moldings to selecting the right consistency of blood, WETA and David Slade walk us through the battlefield of carnage.
- "Stunts" - Stunt coordinator Allan Poppleton will guide us through the construction of four of the movie's big stunt sequences, from David Slade's conception of a scene to stunt rehearsals, safety precautions, and final execution on the shoot day. Vampires will fly off of moving cars, crash through windows and wrestle with a bulldozer.
- "The Vampire" - From graphic novel to screen, take a tour with WETA as they design and bring to life each of the vampires. Watch as Director David Slade meets with his team of vampire actors and instructs them on how to properly behave like blood-thirsty beasts.
- "Night Shoots" - As the production moves into five weeks of night shoots, the cast and crew slowly begin to resemble the blood-thirsty creatures from the film. As Director David Slade explains, "At this point, coffee is more important than film stock."
- "Casting" - Director David Slade and company discuss casting decisions. Josh Hartnett, Melissa George, and many more discuss what their characters mean to them, the influences they've pulled from the graphic novel, and the experience of shooting a high-tension action/horror film.
- "Blood +" Episode 1
- 30 IMAGES OF NIGHT - Graphic Novel to Film Comparison Gallery (Blu-Ray Exclusive feature)