Suicide Squad has done well for Warner Bros., despite very negative reviews, so they are moving ahead with their DC Extended Universe, and they have a lot more planned than many of us may know about. The studio has already officially announced a large slate of upcoming movies over the next few years, but a new batch of rumors has surfaced that details their larger plans, and there are a lot of them. Not surprisingly, those plans include a Suicide Squad sequel, but there is a lot of stuff likely nobody was expecting.
The rumored plans come from a Reddit post that was put together from various posts on 4Chan. This is not official word from Warner Bros.or anything like that, so the information is not absolute and is definitely iffy. With that being said, let's dig into these rumors, because there is a lot going on here. Starting with Suicide Squad 2, which again, has not been officially announced yet, the movie is said to be starting production very soon and Ayer has been writing it since July.
"Suicide Squad 2 production begins soon, Ayer started writing the script in July, expected to shoot late-spring 2017. Will reportedly be dialed back from SS1, with less CGI, a more human threat, and no pop music at all. Slightly lower budget."
Other projects that are supposedly getting the go-ahead are Booster Gold, which recently got a writer in the form of Zack Stentz. Warner Bros. is looking to go the Deadpool route with the project, aiming for a February release date at some point. Also, Metal Men is supposedly being eyed as an animated feature, but Warner Bros. is waiting to see how The LEGO Batman movie does before pressing on with the project. Also, some more big name directors may be joining the DCEU, as Sam Raimi is reportedly being courted for an unnamed project, and Mad Max: Fury Road director George Miller is working on a movie related to a Jack Kirby project.
One of the biggest things contained in this leak is the revelation that the DCEU may be extending to TV, even though all previous reports had stated that the studio wanted to keep the TV and movie side of things separate. Warner Bros. wants the new shows that will connect to the movies to be premium cable shows, similar to Game of Thrones. According to this information, they are developing The Question at HBO, and Scalped is being worked on for WGN. Geoff Johns supposedly wrote the pilot for Scalped. Also, the Lobo movie is on uncertain ground and is also being eyed as a potential TV show.
Interestingly enough, this leak reveals a lot more things that aren't happening, as opposed to things that are happening. An in-development Fables movie has reportedly been canceled, as well as a Legion of Superheroes movie, with that one being canceled because it was simply too early to do it. It also looks like Zack Snyder will be taking some time away from the DCEU, as the report suggests he doesn't want to do the Justice League sequel, and he will not be directing Man of Steel 2. The Cyborg movie also looks to be uncertain, as the studio is said to be waiting to see how the character does in other movies like Justice League, and will only move ahead if he is a breakout.
There is one bit of this rumor leak that lends some credibility to it. The leak was posted a couple of days ago, and in the leak, it mentioned that Deathstroke was originally going to be in Suicide Squad 2. However, that won't be happening because he will be having "an antagonist role." Today, Ben Affleck revealed that Deathstroke is going to appear in Justice League, and he is now rumored to be the primary villain in the solo Batman movie. So, since this leak was ahead of that information and appeared to be right at least on that count, there is some potential legitimacy to it.
There are 23 different points made in this list of rumors, so there is so much to dig into. Other bits include Green Lantern Corps. details, Shazam! being a one-off and so much more. Some of the bits in this list seem to gel with another leak that also surfaced on Reddit last week, so that is also worth mentioning. You can check out the full list of rumors below.
1. Booster Gold is still in the works, treated more as a Deadpool February release film. No production date set.
2. Lobo is currently up in the air, being eyed as a potential TV series set in the DCEU movie universe.
3. Deathstroke no longer in the works. Ayer wanted to use him in Suicide Squad 2, will have an antagonist role. The character is confirmed for a Justice League cameo and is the main villain in Ben Affleck's solo movie.
4. Metal Men being eyed as a start for animated DC movies. If Lego Batman is successful, Warner plans to push forward development and Warner Animation Group will create the movie.
5. WB wants to make a few "in-universe" tv shows for the DCEU, multiple smaller teams and smaller characters being eyed. WB wants these shows to be "premium cable" type shows akin to Game Of Thrones. Fables Movie adapt canceled. Currently being eyed as a television show, although worried it may draw the comparison from Once Upon a Time. Up in the air if it will happen or not.
6. Sandman movie currently being developed. Giving it as much time as it needs to develop. Could very well be canceled. Joaquin Pheonix approached after Joseph Levitt left.
7. Sam Raimi being courted to direct a DCEU movie.
8. 100 bullets still in development, although will not at all be marketed as a comic-related movie. Will have the Vertigo banner, but will be along the lines of Kingsman. Was envisioned as a "Sin City" type film, but is currently now a singular story. Will focus on one man's story with the gun, and have appearances throughout by the Minutemen and the Trust.
9. The Question being developed for HBO as a smaller scale "gritty noir" show.
10. Suicide Squad 2 production begins soon, Ayer started writing the script in July, expected to shoot late-spring 2017. Will reportedly be dialed back from SS1, with less CGI, a more human threat, and no pop music at all. Slightly lower budget.
11. George Miller attracted to making a Jack Kirby property movie, working on Mad Max sequel in-between potential DCEU movie.
12. Man of Steel 2 is happening, Snyder not returning to direct.
13. Snyder no longer wants to return to direct JL 2, has opted out. Plans to direct a smaller scale movie for next project.
14. Shazam to be a one-off movie unless it does extremely well.
15. Cyborg currently up in the air. If he's a breakout character in JL, he will get a movie, if not, it'll be repurposed.
16. Legion of Superheroes canceled. Deemed "too early" to be developed.
17. Darkseid could potentially be saved for JL 3, having more background development in other movies for New Gods and Apokolips. New Gods property being heavily eyed as a film.
18. Green Lantern Corps will be an adaptation of Sinestro Corps War. Will have Guy Gardener, John Stewart, and Hal Jordan as the only human lanterns. Red Lanterns won't appear but will be teased.
19. JSA was originally being worked on, expected to be teased in Wonder Woman with them being in WWI instead of WWII heroes. The idea was scrapped due to it not fitting the general plot of Wonder Woman. It was decided to relegate these characters to the CW shows.
20. Scalped being worked on by WGN network. Was held up with Doug Jung working on Star Trek movie. Jung expected to show run the series. Geoff Johns wrote the pilot.
21. WB wants to keep a 3-year release schedule with solo movies for A-listers. Wants to keep diversity in the lineup and keep filmgoers interested without being fatigued.
22. On DC Animated movies, plans are to increase production to 4 movies per year. Doing "event" animated movies with a limited theater release ala Killing Joke will probably happen yearly.
23. Old scripts being revitalized as animated movies might still happen. Batman Beyond script by Boaz Yakin has been floating around.