Disney's Alice in Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass begins principal photography this week, featuring an award-winning production team and all-star ensemble cast, including Johnny Depp, Anne Hathaway, Mia Wasikowska, Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter. James Bobin (The Muppets, Muppets Most Wanted) helms the film, which revisits Lewis Carroll's beloved stories with an all-new new tale that travels back to Underland-and back in Time.
Alice in Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass is produced by Joe Roth (Maleficent, Alice in Wonderland ) Jennifer Todd (Alice in Wonderland), Suzanne Todd ("Alice in Wonderland) and Tim Burton (Alice in Wonderland). John G. Scotti (The Muppets, Muppets Most Wanted) is the executive producer; Linda Woolverton (Maleficent, Alice in Wonderland) penned the screenplay.
Shooting on location and at Shepperton Studios in England, the film is slated for release on May 27, 2016.
The all-star ensemble cast includes:
- Johnny Depp returns to the big screen as the Mad Hatter-Hatter Tarrant Hightopp.
- Anne Hathaway portrays the White Queen-Mirana.
- Mia Wasikowska once again appears as Alice Kingsleigh, who's on a quest to help the Mad Hatter.
- Helena Bonham Carter returns as the Red Queen-Iracebeth.
- Rhys Ifans fills the shoes of Zanik Hightopp, the Mad Hatter's father.
- Matt Lucas returns to the revelry in a dual role as Tweedledee and Tweedledum.
- Ed Speleers portrays James Harcourt in the film.
- And Sacha Baron Cohen ("Hugo," "Les Misérables") was called on to bring Time to the big screen.
Alice in Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass also boasts an extraordinary voice cast.
- Stephen Fry is back as the voice of the Cheshire Cat.
- Toby Jones provides the voice of Wilkins.
- Alan Rickman returns as the voice of the Blue Caterpillar.
- Michael Sheen once again serves as the voice of the White Rabbit.
- Timothy Spall returns to voice Bayard.
- BAFTA-winning actor, writer and comedian Paul Whitehouse is back as the March Hare.
- Barbara Windsor provides the voice of Dormouse again.
The film welcomes back several key members of the Alice in Wonderland team, including award-winning composer Danny Elfman ("Fifty Shades of Grey," "Big Eyes," Silver Linings Playbook"), three-time Oscar®-winning costume designer Colleen Atwood ("Memoirs of a Geisha," "Chicago"), who won Oscar, BAFTA and Satellite awards, among others, for her work on "Alice In Wonderland," and five-time Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Ken Ralston ("Forrest Gump," "Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi"), who won a Satellite Award for best visual effects for "Alice In Wonderland."
Bobin's award-winning production team also includes Oscar®-winning production designer Dan Hennah ("King Kong," "The Hobbit" trilogy, "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, Oscar for "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"), and Stuart Dryburgh ("The Secret Life of Walter Mitty," "Bridget Jones' Diary," Oscar nomination for "The Piano") as director of photography. The film welcomes Oscar-winning make-up and hair designer Peter King ("Lord of the Rings: Return of the King," Oscar nominee for "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey"), and Oscar winner Neil Corbould ("Gravity," "Gladiator") is special effects supervisor. Andrew Weisblum ("Noah," Oscar nominee "Black Swan") is editor.