You can relive one of Spike Lee's seminal films all over again in DVD and for the first time on Blu-ray this June. Do the Right Thing will be released in a 20th Anniversary Edition on DVD and Blu-ray on June 30. We have no pricing details or cover art as of yet, but we'll update this story as soon as we have more information. In the meantime, take a look at the special features below.
Director Spike Lee dives head-first into a maelstrom of racial and social ills, using as his springboard the hottest day of the year on one block in Brooklyn, NY. Three businesses dominate the block: a storefront radio station, where a smooth-talkin' deejay (Samuel L. Jackson) spins the platters that matter; a convenience store owned by a Korean couple; and Sal's Famous Pizzeria, the only white-operated business in the neighborhood. Sal (Danny Aiello) serves up slices with his two sons, genial Vito (Richard Edson) and angry, racist Pino (John Turturro). Sal has one black employee, Mookie (Spike Lee), who wants to "get paid" but lacks ambition. His sister Jade (Joie Lee, Spike's sister), who has a greater sense of purpose and a "real" job, wants Mookie to start dealing with his responsibilities, most notably his son with girlfriend Tina (Rosie Perez). Two of Mookie's best friends are Radio Raheem (Bill Nunn), a monolith of a man who rarely speaks, preferring to blast Public Enemy's rap song ~Fight The Power on his massive boom box; and Buggin' Out (Giancarlo Esposito), nicknamed for his coke-bottle glasses and habit of losing his cool. When Buggin' Out notes that Sal's "Wall of Fame," a photo gallery of famous Italian-Americans, includes no people of color, he eventually demands a neighborhood boycott, on a day when tensions are already running high, that incurs tragic consequences.
- BD-LIVE: Access the BD-Live Center through your Internet-connected player to get even more content, watch the latest trailers, and more! (Blu-ray exclusive)
-Do The Right Thing: 20 Years Later: New retrospective documentary with the cast and crew
- Deleted & Extended Scenes: 11 newly discovered scenes cut from the final version of the film
- 20th Anniversary Edition Feature Commentary by Director Spike Lee
- Feature Commentary by Director Spike Lee, Cinematographer Ernest Dickerson, Production Designer Wynn Thomas, and Actor Joie Lee
- Behind the Scenes: Spike Lee's personal video footage from the set of the film
- Making Do the Right Thing: In-depth documentary on the making of the film
- Cannes 1989 - Follow the film's triumphant screening at the prestigious Cannes Film as Do the Right Thing energizes and astonishes audiences with its bold message.
- Editor Barry Brown: Interview with the editor of Do the Right Thing
- The Riot Sequence: Storyboard gallery of the climatic riot sequence
- Trailers: Original theatrical trailer and TV spots