Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, the action-packed epic space adventure following a ragtag band of disparate misfits, debuts with a one-hour special featuring back-to-back episodes, Saturday, September 26 (9:30 p.m., ET/PT) on Disney XD. A sneak peek at the first episode premieres Saturday, September 5 (9:00 p.m., ET/PT). Disney XD will also telecast 10 two-minute shorts delving into the backstory of each of the five main characters throughout the month of August. Disney XD has also released the first poster for the animated TV series.
Guardians of the Galaxy features themes of redemption and the importance of friendships and family told through a series of riveting sequential story arcs. The series follows the newly formed team that finds a strange artifact keyed only to the DNA of Peter Quill. Upon opening it, Quill unleashes a treasure map leading to a powerful weapon known as the Cosmic Seed, which is capable of giving birth to the next universe. It's up to the Guardians to find, protect and ultimately destroy the Cosmic Seed in order to keep it out of the hands of those who would abuse its power, from galactic big boss Thanos to the conniving brothers the Collector and the Grandmaster, to a resurrected Ronan, to the ultimate trickster, Loki, in order to save the universe.
AUGUST 1 - AUGUST 29
Each Saturday throughout August, two new character shorts will telecast on Disney XD.
- August 1: Star-Lord - Part 1 (8:58 p.m., ET/PT) & Part 2 (10:28 p.m., ET/PT)
- August 8: Groot - Part 1 (8:58 p.m., ET/PT) & Part 2 (9:58 p.m., ET/PT)
- August 15: Rocket Raccoon - Part 1 (8:58 p.m., ET/PT) & Part 2 (9:58 p.m., ET/PT)
- August 22: Drax - Part 1 (8:58 p.m., ET/PT) & Part 2 (9:58 p.m., ET/PT)
- August 29: Gamora - Part 1 (8:58 p.m., ET/PT) & Part 2 (9:58 p.m., ET/PT)
Saturday, September 5
Saturday, September 26
- Encore presentation of "Road to Knowhere" followed by "Knowhere to Run". In "Knowhere to Run", the Guardians struggle to subdue the suddenly sprung-to-life Celestial head that is the Knowhere space colony, as well as storm Korath's ship to rescue Quill, Gamora and the mysterious CryptoCube that holds the Cosmic Seed.
Sunday, September 27
Featuring the hugely popular characters introduced in the record-breaking Marvel Studios film of the same name, the series stars Will Friedle (Boy Meets World) as the brash adventurer Peter Quill/Star-Lord, Trevor Devall (Johnny Test) as fan-favorite Rocket Raccoon, Vanessa Marshall (Star Wars Rebels) as the enigmatic, expert fighter Gamora, David Sobolov (Transformers: Prime) as the rough-edged warrior Drax the Destroyer, Kevin Michael Richardson (The Cleveland Show) as tree-like humanoid Groot and James Arnold Taylor (Star Wars: The Clone Wars) as leader of the space pirates Yondu and the telepathic dog, Cosmo.
Produced by Marvel Animation, the series' award-winning creative team includes executive producers Alan Fine (Marvel's The Avengers, Iron Man, Thor), Dan Buckley (Avengers Assemble, Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.), Joe Quesada (Avengers Assemble) and Jeph Loeb (Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.). Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy joins Marvel's Avengers Assemble and Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H., Disney XD's Top 2 original weekend animated series in Total Viewers and target kid and boy demos. Check out the new poster below, and stay tuned for more on Guardians of the Galaxy .