Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: The third time is a charm with the holiday release of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban on DVD and VHS on November 23 from Warner Home Video. The most recent installment of the Harry Potter series from director Alfonso Cuarón (Y tu mamá También) and screenwriter Steve Kloves, based on J.K. Rowling’s award-winning novels, takes audiences on another adventure with more mystery and magic than ever before. The $242* million dollar box office smash features the returning Harry Potter cast of Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter, Emma Watson as Hermione Granger, and Rupert Grint as Ron Weasley, joined by Hogwarts professors including Robbie Coltrane (Rubeus Hagrid), Alan Rickman (Professor Severus Snape), Maggie Smith (Professor Minerva McGonagall), Michael Gambon (Albus Dumbledore), David Thewlis (Professor Lupin) and Gary Oldman as Sirius Black.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban will be available at $29.95 SRP in a two-disc DVD in both widescreen and full frame formats and VHS will be priced at $22.99 SRP.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban enchanted critics across the nation, garnering high praise for Alfonso Cuarón’s innovative direction and for capturing the world that is Harry Potter. The Los Angeles Times (Kenneth Turan) stated "Azkaban captur[es] the enormously pleasing essence of the Potter books" and Entertainment Weekly called the film "genuinely fun."
USA Today (Claudia Puig) praised Alfonso Cuarón as "a dazzling storyteller with a keen eye for whimsical detail" and thought "the film [was] a visual delight."
"Fans can expect great things from the home video release of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban," said Jim Wuthrich, Vice-President, Marketing for Warner Home Video. "The two-disc DVD will provide viewers with a full, interactive Harry Potter experience and add a new dimension to the film. It offers never-before-seen footage and interactive material that allows audiences to really participate in the magic of Harry Potter. Children of all ages will have fun exploring what the DVD has to offer."
"Harry Potter has been a phenomenon, now it’s becoming a classic." –
Jump aboard the Hogwarts Express and join Harry Potter in his third year of magic and mystery. From never-before-seen footage, classroom tours and challenges, audiences will become well acquainted with secrets of the wizard world.
The two-disc edition DVD will include these spellbinding special features:
- A selection of mystifying exclusive never-before-seen footage.
- Creating the Vision – a revealing interview with J.K. Rowling and the filmmakers.
- Three great interactive challenges! Test your memory with "Magic You May Have Missed", help Crookshanks "Catch Scabbers", and go on an unexpected quest with Sir Cadogan.
- Self-guided iPIX tours into Honeydukes and Professor Lupin’s Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom.
- Raucous interviews with the cast lead by Johnny Vaughan and the Shrunken Head.
- Meet the animal trainers from the movie in Care of Magical Creatures.
- Choir Practice – sing-along with the Hogwarts choir.
- Hogwarts Portrait Gallery - get a closer look at the various portraits lining the walls of Hogwarts castle.
- Conjuring a Scene – an in-depth look at the making of key scenes from the film.
- Theatrical trailers of all three Harry Potter films.
- Electronic Arts game preview.
- DVD-ROM PC capable features include:
- Wizard Trading Cards.
- Hogwarts Timeline.
In Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry, Ron and Hermione, now teenagers, return for their third year at Hogwarts, where they are forced to face escaped prisoner, Sirius Black, who poses a great threat to Harry. Harry and his friends spend their third year learning how to handle a half-horse half-eagle Hippogriff, repel shape-shifting Boggarts and master the art of Divination. They also visit the wizarding village of Hogsmeade and the Shrieking Shack, which is considered the most haunted building in Britain. In addition to these new experiences, Harry must overcome the threats of the soul-sucking Dementors, outsmart a dangerous werewolf and finally deal with the truth about Sirius Black and his relationship to Harry and his parents. With his best friends, Harry masters advanced magic, crosses the barriers of time and changes the course of more than one life. Directed by Alfonso Cuarón and based on J.K. Rowling 's third book, this wondrous spellbinder soars with laughs, and the kind of breathless surprise only found in a Harry Potter adventure.