You can re-live a classic John Wayne ensemble Western in both formats this August. How the West Was Won will be re-released on DVD and Blu-Ray on August 26. The remastered and restored film will be released in a two-disc Special Edition ($20.97 SRP), Ultimate Collectors Edition ($59.92) and Blu-Ray edition ($34.99). The film stars John Wayne, Henry Fond and James Stewart.
Some of Hollywood's biggest stars, including John Wayne, Henry Fonda, James Stewart, Richard Widmark, Gregory Peck, Lee J. Cobb, Debbie Reynolds and Carroll Baker star in How the West Was Won. Set between 1839 and 1889 against the backgrounds of the Louisiana Purchase, the Civil War, buffalo hunters, the Pony Express and the first transcontinental railroad, the film consists of five segments, with direction by Henry Hathaway, John Ford and George Marshall, and written by James R. Webb and John Gay, suggested by a Life Magazine series of the same name. The film was the winner of 3 Academy Awards (Best Screenplay, Best Sound and Best Editing) as well as being nominated for an additional five Oscars®, including Best Picture. In 1997, How the West Was Won was selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the US National Film Registry.
- Film Historian Commentary
- Dave Strohmaier's critically-acclaimed, feature-length documentary Cinerama® Adventure
- The Making of How the West Was Won (Archival featurette)
- Original Theatrical trailer
- 20-page theatrical press book (Ultimate Collectors Edition only)
- 10 behind the scenes photo cards (Ultimate Collectors Edition only)
- 10 postcards (Ultimate Collectors Edition only)
- 32-page DigiBook with rare press materials (Blu-Ray only)