Lionsgate, a premier next generation global content leader, is teaming with Google to introduce District Voices, the latest campaign in Google's Art, Copy & Code project to promote The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1, the two companies announced today. Mockingjay - Part 1 is the third film in the global blockbuster Hunger Games franchise that has already grossed more than $1.5 billion at the worldwide box office.
District Voices is a five episode series on YouTube that brings to life Panem, the fictional world of The Hunger Games, through videos featuring popular YouTube creators. Each episode of the series was created with a different creator, whose channel content aligns with a specific industry from one of the districts of Panem.
The videos were concepted and developed with the team from the YouTube Space LA and filmed on location there, and around Los Angeles. They provide a window into an expanded world of The Hunger Games and deliver original content to the passionate fan bases of both the films and the individual YouTube creators. Presented as programming from Capitol TV, the government-sanctioned television network of The Hunger Games, District Voices is a leading example of how YouTube is emerging as the best place to reach the key 18-34 year-old audience.
Global fan communities are watching more than 9 billion hours of video each month on YouTube, and the creators who participated in District Voices have a combined base of over 4.9 million subscribers and more than 550 million video views.
Here's what Lionsgate's EVP of Digital Marketing Danielle De Palma had to say about District Voices in a statement.
"Our mission has always been to engage our Hunger Games fans in the most innovative and authentic ways possible. We cannot think of a better partner than these incredible YouTube stars, who truly bring new content to life in the world of Panem and extend our storytelling to online audiences in exciting new directions."
Google's Art, Copy & Code is a series of projects that explore new ways for brands to connect with consumers through experiences that people love, remember and share. Google's Director of Creative Partnerships, Ben Malbon had this to say in his statement.
"YouTube is the best place to build a fanbase. This collaboration with Lionsgate showcases how brands can harness the power of Google and YouTube to reach their core audience when they are engaging with the content they are most passionate about and where they are spending the majority of their time."
View the District Voices trailer below and tune-in to Capitol TV each day this week starting at 4pm ET/ 1pm PT:
- Monday, October 20 - District 8: Rob Czar & Corinne Leigh, co-helmers of the Threadbanger YouTube channel, show how to best make use of excess Peacekeeper armor.
- - Tuesday, October 21 - District 2: Shane Fazen, of the fightTIPS YouTube channel, showcases the training and techniques required to be a Peacekeeper in Panem.
- - Wednesday, October 22 - District 5: Derek Muller, known for the mind-blowing experiments and scientific discussions on his YouTube channel Veritasium, demonstrates new ways in which the Capitol may generate its electricity in the future.
- - Thursday, October 23 - District 9: Jimmy Wong & Ashley Adams, best known for their Feast of Fiction YouTube channel, demonstrate baking techniques from Panem's Grain District.
- - Friday, October 24 - District 6: iJustine's Justine Ezarik, gives a glimpse at the driving force that proudly supports the transportation needs of Panem's vaunted Peacekeepers.
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 opens in theatres everywhere on November 21.
The worldwide phenomenon of The Hunger Games continues to set the world on fire with The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1, which finds Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) in District 13 after she literally shatters the games forever. Under the leadership of President Coin (Julianne Moore) and the advice of her trusted friends, Katniss spreads her wings as she fights to save Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) and a nation moved by her courage. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 is directed by Francis Lawrence from a screenplay by Peter Craig and Danny Strong, from an adaptation by Suzanne Collins and produced by Nina Jacobson's Color Force in tandem with producer Jon Kilik. The novel on which the film is based is the third in a trilogy written by Suzanne Collins that has over 65 million copies in print in the U.S. alone.