Much has been reported about the cinematic fate of Guillermo Del Toro's The Hobbit. The film was rumored to be pushed back until 2012, but producer Peter Jackson recently stated that the film would be released in December of 2011, with a June 2010 start date for principle photography. A new report in Variety is now stating otherwise.
New Line Cinema executive producer Alan Horn told Variety that the film may not hit theaters until a full year after its previously announced release date. The studio is currently waiting for Peter Jackson and his longtime collaborators Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens to finish working with Del Toro on the script for the second film. When it is turned in, New Line will only then work up a budget and start casting. Horn didn't want to predict a set release date, but said The Hobbit most likely wouldn't hit theaters until the fourth quarter of 2012.
The report also indicates that Friday the 13th Part 2 in 3D wont be released until sometime in 2011, despite being rumored for 2010. The same is true for the Guillermo Del Toro produced remake of The Orphanage.