Lone Survivor star Emile Hirsch and director Peter Berg explain how the elaborate and complex gunfight was created in our exclusive featurette for the Blu-ray and DVD release on June 3. The real-life experiences of Marcus Luttrell comes to life in this action-packed adaptation that follows four Navy SEALS (Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch, Emile Hirsch and Ben Foster) as they embark on a mission in the Afghanistan mountains where they become ambushed and must fight for their lives. Go behind-the-scenes with the cast and crew to see how this explosive firefight was created for the big screen.
Based on The New York Times best-selling true story of heroism, courage and survival, Lone Survivor tells the incredible tale of four Navy SEALs on a covert mission to neutralize a high-level al-Qaeda operative. The four men must make an impossible moral decision in the mountains of Afghanistan that leads them into an enemy ambush. As the confront unthinkable odds, the SEALs must find reserves of strength and resilience to fight to the finish. Academy Award nominee Mark Wahlberg (The Fighter) leads an all-star cast including Taylor Kitsch (Savages, Ben Foster (3:10 to Yuma), Emile Hirsch (Into the Wild) and Eric Bana (Star Trek) in a movie hailed by critics as "unforgettable, tense and inspiring" (Movieline).
- Will of the Warrior: An in-depth look at Marcus Luttrell, the real-life Navy SEAL who received the Navy Cross and Purple Heart for his actions in Operation Red Wings.
- - Recreating the Firefight: Reveals how Lone Survivor's action-packed stunts were choreographed and shot. This featurette includes interviews with Director Peter Berg, Actors Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch, Ben Foster and Emile Hirsch and stunt coordinator and 2nd unit director Kevin Scott.
- - Learning the Basics: Watch as Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch, Ben Foster and Emile Hirsch go through rigorous SEAL training in weapons handling, communication/patrolling and simulated attack drills. Along with Marcus Luttrell, Peter Berg enlisted the help of active Navy SEALS to help the actors accurately portray the fallen soldiers of Operation Red Wings.
- - The Pashtun Code of Life: Learn why Marcus Luttrell's rescuer, Mohammad Gulab, risked his life and the lives of everyone in his village in order to save Marcus.
- - Bringing the Story to Light: Marcus Luttrell's story of survival under extremely dire circumstances is an inspiration to anyone who hears it. Director, producer and writer Peter Berg, Producer Sarah Aubrey, and the four lead actors (Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch, Ben Foster and Emile Hirsch) reveal their passion for the project and why it was so important to them to tell this story.
- - The Fallen Heroes of Operation Red Wings: Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch, Ben Foster and Emile Hirsch profile the real-life heroes who inspired their characters: Marcus Luttrell, Michael Murphy, Daniel Dietz and Matthew Axelson. Family members provide intimate accounts of what these brave men were like in their private lives, as well as perspective on their decisions to join the military and make the ultimate sacrifice for their country. Also included is a tribute to the team of Operation Red Wings, using personal photos.