Back in May, Marvel Studios made the surprising announcement that Edgar Wright was leaving Ant-Man due to creative differences. The director raised some eyebrows just a few days later, posting a "selfie" featuring silent film star Buster Keaton holding a Cornetto. Many thought the director was comparing his experience with Marvel to Buster Keaton leaving independent filmmaking to join MGM, which he later called the worst decision of his life.

Today, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige spoke about Edgar Wright's exit, revealing that it was a "combination" of the filmmaker's personality issues and his vision falling out of sync with the studio. He also shot down claims that Marvel was scared that the filmmaker's vision was too far "out there."

RELATED: Infinity War Almost Had a Post-Credit WandaVision Scene with Vision in a Body Bag
"We sat round a table and we realized it was not working. A part of me wishes we could have figured that out in the eight years we were working on it. But better for us and for Edgar that we figure it out then, and not move it through production. We said let's do this together and put out a statement. What do we say? 'Creative differences'. I said: 'That's what they always say and no-one ever believes it.' Edgar said: 'But in this case it's true ... ' The Marvel movies are very collaborative, and I think they are more collaborative than what he had been used to. And I totally respect that. [But] the notion that Marvel was scared, the vision was too good, too far out for Marvel is not true. And I don't want to talk too much about that because I think our movies speak to that. Go look at Iron Man 3; go look at Captain America: The Winter Soldier; go see Guardians of the Galaxy later this month. It would have to be really out there to be too out there for us."

Last month, Edgar Wright's regular collaborator Simon Pegg said the director's Ant-Man script was, "daring, fun, funny, and hugely exciting." However, Kevin Feige revealed that under new director Peyton Reed, Ant-Man is in the best shape its ever been in, while shooting down speculation that the studio was "scared" of Edgar Wright's vision.

"Peyton is going to do a tremendous job and the cast is tremendously dedicated and the script is getting into amazing shape. You wouldn't expect a producer to say anything different, but when that movie comes out it will be the absolute best version of Ant-Man that could have existed. The biggest disappointment for me is just the relationship, because I like Edgar very, very much and we were very close for many many years. But the perception that the big evil studio was too scared at the outside-the-box creative vision is just not the case."

Ant-Man is scheduled to begin production on August 18. Are you excited to see what Peyton Reed can do with this Marvel Phase Three adventure? Or would you still prefer to have Edgar Wright at the helm? Chime in with your thoughts below.