Last month, Paramount Pictures made the surprising move to shift their upcoming action sequel Mission: Impossible 5 from December 25, 2015 to July 31, 2015. However, with the release just over five months away, production has halted for "a week or so" after the ending was deemed "unsatisfactory." Writer-director Christopher McQuarrie is currently working on a new ending with an unidentified "writer friend" who will not be paid or credited for his or her work. Here's what an anonymous source told The Hollywood Reporter about the shutdown.
"Chris, Tom [Cruise] and a third person wanted to take a minute to get from what they thought was a good place to a more perfect place."
The source added that the July 31 release date is still intact, and if the studio was really worried about the status of Mission: Impossible 5, they would have pushed the release date. This isn't the first time that Paramount has had third-act story issues. The studio pushed the release date of their zombie thriller World War Z several times, shutting down production and bringing in writers Damon Lindelof and Drew Goddard to work on the ending.
Ultimately, between 30 and 40 minutes of previously-shot footage was scrapped, with new scenes shot during seven weeks of reshoots. When it debuted in the summer of 2013, it became a hit, taking in over $200 million domestic and $540 million worldwide, with the sequel World War Z 2 currently in development. When asked if Mission: Impossible 5 is "seriously behind scehdule," one Paramount executive said the movie is still in good shape, compared to World War Z.
"Are you kidding? We made World War Z."
Do you think Mission: Impossible 5 will still hit theaters on July 31, despite the brief production shutdown? Or do you think Paramount will move it back to Christmas Day? Let us know what you think, and stay tuned for the latest updates on Mission: Impossible 5.