Forty-one songs from eligible feature-length motion pictures are in contention for nominations in the Original Song category for the 83rd Academy Awards, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced today.
The original songs, along with the motion picture in which each song is featured, are listed below in alphabetical order by film and song title:
- "Alice" from Alice in Wonderland
- "Forever One Love" from Black Tulip
- "Freedom Song" from Black Tulip
- "Bound to You" from Burlesque
- "Welcome to Burlesque" from Burlesque
- "You Haven't Seen the Last of Me" from Burlesque
- "There's a Place for Us" from The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of The Dawn Treader
- "Coming Home" from Country Strong
- "Me and Tennessee" from Country Strong
- "Despicable Me" from Despicable Me
- "Prettiest Girls" from Despicable Me
- "Dear Laughing Doubters" from Dinner for Schmucks
- "Better Days" from Eat, Pray, Love
- "If You Run" from Going the Distance
- "Darkness before the Dawn" from Holy Rollers
- "Sticks & Stones" from How to Train Your Dragon
- "Le Gris" from Idiots and Angels
- "Chanson Illusionist" from The Illusionist
- "Never Say Never" from The Karate Kid
- "To the Sky" from Legend of The Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole
- "What If" from Letters to Juliet
- "Life during Wartime" from Life During Wartime
- "Made in Dagenham" from Made in Dagenham
- "Little One" from Mother and Child
- "Be the One" from The Next Three Days
- "If I Rise" from 127 Hours
- "When You See Forever" from "The Perfect Game
- "I Remain" from Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
- "Dream Big" from Pure Country 2: The Gift
- "How I Love You" from Ramona and Beezus
- "Darling I Do" from Shrek Forever After
- "Noka Oi" from Six Days in Paradise
- "This Is a Low" from Tamara Drewe
- "I See the Light" from Tangled
- "Rise" from 3 Billion and Counting
- "We Belong Together" from Toy Story 3
- "Eclipse: All Yours" from The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
- "Nothing" from Why Did I Get Married Too?
- "A Better Life" from Unbeaten
- "Shine" from Waiting for Superman
- "The Reasons Why" from Wretches & Jabberers
On Thursday, January 6, the Academy will screen clips featuring each song, in random order, for voting members of the Music Branch in Los Angeles. Following the screenings, members will determine the nominees by an averaged point system vote. If no song receives an average score of 8.25 or more, there will be no nominees in the category. If only one song achieves that score, it and the song receiving the next highest score shall be the two nominees. If two or more songs (up to five) achieve that score, they shall be the nominees. A DVD copy of the song clips will be made available to those branch members who are unable to attend the screening and who request it for home viewing. A mail-in ballot will be provided.
Under Academy rules, a maximum of two songs may be nominated from any one film. If more than two songs from a film are in contention, the two songs with the most votes will be the nominees.
To be eligible, a song must consist of words and music, both of which are original and written specifically for the film. A clearly audible, intelligible, substantive rendition of both lyric and melody must be used in the body of the film or as the first music cue in the end credits.
The 83rd Academy Awards nominations will be announced live on Tuesday, January 25, 2011, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater.
Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2010 will be presented on Sunday, February 27, 2011, at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center, and televised live by the ABC Television Network. The Oscar presentation also will be televised live in more than 200 countries worldwide.