Now you can check out the Labyrinth in high definition.
Right on the heels of a recently-released Pan's Labyrinth, DVD Active is reporting that New Line Cinema will be releasing the flick in both the HD DVD and Blu-Ray formats on December 26. Both discs will be priced at $35.99 SRP. The film stars Ivana Baquero, Sergi Lopez, Maribel Verdu and Doug Jones.
Mexican filmmaker Guillermo del Toro returns to the phantasmagorical cinema that defined such early fare as Cronos and The Devil's Backbone with this haunting fantasy-drama set in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War and detailing the strange journeys of an imaginative young girl who may be the mythical princess of an underground kingdom. Her mother, Carmen (Ariadna Gil), recently remarried to sadistic army captain Vidal (Sergi Lopez) and soon to bear the cruel military man's child, shy young Ofelia (Ivana Baquero) is forced to entertain herself as her recently-formed family settles into their new home nestled deep in the Spanish countryside. As Ofelia's bed-ridden mother lies immobilized in anticipation of her forthcoming child and her high-ranking stepfather remains determined to fulfill the orders of General Francisco Franco to crush a nearby guerilla uprising, the young girl soon ventures into an elaborate stone labyrinth presided over by the mythical faun Pan (Doug Jones). Convinced by Pan that she is the lost princess of legend and that in order to return to her underground home she must complete a trio of life-threatening tasks, Ofelia sets out to reclaim her kingdom and return to her grieving father as Vidal's housekeeper Mercedes (Maribel Verdu) and doctor (Alex Angulo) plot secretly on the surface to keep the revolution alive.
- Feature Video Prologue by Director Guillermo del Toro
- Audio Commentary by Director Guillermo del Toro
- Director's Notebook (with Animated Interface)
- The Power of Myth' Featurette
- 'The Faun and the Fairies' Featurette
- 'The Color and The Shape' Featurette
- 'The Lullaby: The Melody Echoes the Fairy Tale' Featurette
- DVD Comics
- Multi-angle Storyboard/Thumbnail Comparisons
- Galleries including creature design, production design and a production scrapbook
- The Charlie Rose Show Featuring Director Guillermo del Toro
- Theatrical Trailer
- TV Spots
- Enhanced Visual Commentary Picture In Picture: Picture-in-Picture; Linkouts (HD DVD only); Synchronized Storyboard and Art Gallery (HD DVD only)
- Web Enabled Features: New Line Portal; Scene Shuffle and Share; Polling; Highlights; Trivia (HD DVD Only)