In the mood for shorts?
In a story from DVD Times, Buena Vista Home Entertainment will release the Pixar Short Films Collection, Vol. 1 on November 6.
Buena Vista will also make it available on Blu-ray disc.
The films in this collection are:
- The Adventures of Andre & Wally B. - From the legendary Lucas Films, a delightful look at the lightning-fast in-flight antics of a mischievous bumble bee (Wally B.) and his even faster-moving target (Andre).
- Luxo Jr. - A baby lamp finds a ball to play with and it's all fun and games until the ball bursts. Just when the elder Luxo thinks his kid will settle down for a bit, Luxo Jr. finds another ball - ten times larger.
- Tin Toy - Babies are hardly monster-like, unless you're a toy. After escaping a drooling baby, Tinny realizes that he wants to be played with after all. But in the amount of time it takes him to discover this, the baby's attention moves on to other things only an infant could find interesting. (1988 Academy Award Winner for Best Animated Short Film)
- Red's Dream - Life as the sole sale item in the clearance corner of Eben's Bikes can get lonely. So Red, a unicycle, dreams up a clown owner and his own juggling act that steals the show. But all too soon, the applause turns into the sound of rainfall, as reality rushes back. Red must resign himself to sitting in the corner and await his fate.
- Knick Knack - Life on a shelf as a snowman trapped in a snow-globe blizzard can become wearing, especially when you're surrounded by knickknacks from sunnier locales. When the jaded snowman finally breaks free of his glass home, his vacation plans are cut short. (Music by Bobby McFerrin)
- Geri's Game - An aging codger named Geri plays a daylong game of chess in the park against himself. Somehow, he begins losing to his livelier opponent. But just when the game's nearly over, Geri manages to turn the tables. (1997 Academy Award Winner for Best Animated Short Film)
- For The Birds - One by one, a flock of small birds perches on a telephone wire. Sitting close together has problems enough, and then comes along a large dopey bird who tries to join them. The birds of a feather can't help but make fun of him - and the clique mentality proves embarrassing in the end. (2001 Academy Award Winner for Best Animated Short Film)
- Mike's New Car - When Mike shows off his new car to his Monsters, Inc. co-star Sulley, everything that can go wrong does, and they are left with only their own two feet for transportation. (2002 Academy Award Nominee for Best Animated Short Film)
- Boundin' - On a high mountain plain lives a lamb with a wool coat of such remarkable sheen that he breaks into high-steppin' dance. But there comes a day when he loses his lustrous coat and, along with it his pride. It takes a wise jackalope - a horn-adorned rabbit - to teach the moping lamb that woolly or not, it's what's inside that'll help him rebound from life's troubles. (2003 Academy Award Nominee for Best Animated Short Film)
- Jack-Jack Attack - When babysitter Kari McKean tries to entertain Jack-Jack Parr (of The Incredibles) with some "brainy baby" music, she triggers an unusual reaction.
- Mater and the Ghostlight - Cars favourite Mater is "haunted" by a mysterious blue light that teaches him not to play pranks on the other cars in Radiator Springs.
- One Man Band - One Man Band tells the humorously captivating tale of a peasant girl who, with one coin to make a wish at a piazza fountain, encounters two competing street musicians who'd prefer the coin find its way into their tip jars. As the rivalry crescendos, the two overly eager performers vie to win the little girl's attention. (2005 Academy Award Nominee for Best Animated Short Film)
- Lifted - A young alien student bungles his first lesson in elementary abduction as an increasingly weary instructor looks on. (2006 Academy Award Nominee for Best Animated Short Film)
- Pixar Shorts: A Short History - John Lasseter, founder and chief creative officer of Pixar and some of the studio's other masters of cinematic magic share the secrets and stories behind the short films.
- Audio Commentaries
- Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1 (except The Adventures of Andre & Wally B which is presented in Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo)
The Pixar Short Films Collection, Vol. 1 will sell for $29.99.