Following a Banner Year for Bad Movies, voting members of The Golden Raspberry Award Foundation have sifted through the cinematic rubble and selected what they consider to be last year's Berry Worst "Achievements" in Film. In addition to 2009's top under-achievers, The Gala 30th Annual Razzie Awards will dis-honor The Worst of the "Uh-Ohs," with special awards for the Worst Picture, Actor and Actress of the Decade in ceremonies scheduled for Hollywood's Barnsdall Gallery Theatre at 7:30pm/PST on Saturday, March 6 - the now traditional Night Before the Oscars.
Leading the pack among this year's Razzie contenders are one of the year's biggest money-makers and the year's biggest money-loser, each with seven nods. Razzie Repeat Offender Michael Bay helped lead the over-loud, over-long, uber-stupid Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen to a huge box office take...and to a huge haul of Razzie nominations as well. In addition to Worst Director and Worst Picture, the film is up for Worst Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel, Worst Screenplay, Worst Supporting Actress (Julie White as the stoned, screaming mother of Shia Le Bouf), Worst Screen Couple (Le Bouf and EITHER Megan Fox OR Any Transformer) and Worst Actress (Fox again, dually nominated for this film and Jennifer's Body). Keeping up with TRANNIES, TOO in the Razzie race (but decidedly not at the box office) is Last Summer's Biggest B.O. bomb, Land of the Lost, also with 7 shots at taking home spray-painted gold. Land of the Lost star Will Ferrell is listed in both Worst Actor and Worst Screen Couple (Ferrell & Any Co-Star, Creature or "Comic Riff") and the film itself is also nominated for Worst Picture, Worst Director, Worst Screenplay, Worst Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel and Worst Supporting Actor (the screaching Jorma Taccone as the monkeylike Cha-Ka). Rounding out the Worst Picture list are the Disney dud Old Dogs, the awful "action-figures-come-to-life" 9-Year-Old-Boy-Movie G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra and the So-Good-It-Was-Held-Back-from-Release-for-2-Years "comedy" All About Steve (whose star, Worst Actress nominee Sandra Bullock, could pull off the unprecedented feat of "winning" a Razzie one day before winning an Oscar).
Other well-known names shamed as being last year's worst include 2010 Oscar co-host Steve Martin (Worst Actor for Pink Panther 2), Beyonce (Worst Actress for Obsessed), Worst Actor of the Decade contenders Eddie Murphy (up for Worst Actor of 2009 in Imagine That) and John Travolta (Worst Actor of 2009 for Old Dogs) as well as the twitty Dizz-Knee 'tween idols Miley Cyrus (Worst Actress for Hannah Montana: The Movie) and any two or more of the Jonas Brothers, nominated jointly for Worst Actor and Worst Screen Couple - for their documentary Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience. A complete list of nominees is included with this press release.
Nominees were determined by mailing ballots to 647 Foundation members in 46 U.S. states and 19 foreign countries. The Razzies were created in 1980 as a logical antidote to Tinsel Town's annual glut of self-congratulatory awards by John Wilson, author of The Official Razzie Movie Guide and Everything I Know I Learned At the Movies. The Barnsdall Gallery Theatre is a facility of the City of Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs.
30th Annual Razzie Awards Nominees
- Any Two (or More) Jonas Brothers, Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience
- - Sandra Bullock and Bradley Cooper, All About Steve
- - Will Ferrell and any co-star, Creature or "Comic Riff," Land of the Lost
- - Shia Lebouf & Either Megan Fox or Any Transformer, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
- - Kristin Stewart and either Robert Pattinson or Taylor Whatz-His-Fang, The Twilight Saga: New Moon
- All About Steve, screenplay by Kim Barker
- - G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, screenplay by Stuart Beattie and David Elliot & Paul Lovett, based on Hasbro's G.I. Joe Characters.
- - Land of the Lost, written by Chris Henchy & Dennis McNicholas, based on Sid & Marty Krofft's TV series
- - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, written By Ehren Kruger & Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman, based on Hasbro's Transformers Action Figures
- - The Twilight Saga: New Moon, screenplay by Melissa Rosenberg, based on the novel by Stephenie Meyer
- Battlefield Earth (2000) - Nominated for 10 Razzies, "winner" of 8 (including Worst Drama of Our First 25 Years)
- - Freddy Got Fingered (2001) - Nominated for nine Razzies, "winner" of five
- - Gigli (2003) - Nominated for 10 Razzies, winner of seven (including Worst Comedy of Our First 25 Years)
- - I Know Who Killed Me (2007) - Nominated for nine Razzies, "winner" of eight
- - Swept Away (2002) - Nominated for nine Razzies, "winner" of five
- Ben Affleck - (Nominated for nine "achievements,"winner" of two Razzies)
- - Eddie Murphy - (Nominated for 12 "achievements," "winner" of three Razzies)
- - Mike Myers - (Nominated for four "achievements," "winner" of two Razzies)
- - Rob Schneider - (Nominated for six "achievements," "winner" of one Razzie)
- - John Travolta - (Nominated for six "achievements," "winner" of the Razzies)
- Mariah Carey - (The Single Biggest Individual Vote Getter of the Decade: 70+% Of ALL Votes For Worst Actress Of 2001), Glitter
- - Paris Hilton (Nominated for five "Achievements," "Winner" of four Razzies)
- - Lindsay Lohan - (Nominated for five "achievements," "winner" of three Razzies)
- - Jennifer Lopez - (Nominated for nine "achievements," "winner" of two Razzies)
- - Madonna - (Nominated for six "achievements," "winner" of four Razzies)