This fall, Universal Orlando Resort will transform reality into a surreal fight for survival as the critically-acclaimed survival horror video game series Resident Evil becomes a haunted house at Halloween Horror Nights 23.
This completes this year's lineup for Universal Orlando's Halloween Horror Nights 23, which will feature some of the most outrageously terrifying, highly-recognizable names in entertainment and pop culture. In addition to Resident Evil, the event will also include haunted houses based on AMC's The Walking Dead, Mexican urban legend La Llorona and critically acclaimed horror films Evil Dead, An American Werewolf in London and The Cabin in the Woods. Universal Orlando is also dedicating its entire Halloween Horror Nights street experience to The Walking Dead - making this the first time ever that all of the scare zones throughout the park will be themed after a hit television series.
For Resident Evil, Universal's Entertainment team collaborated with the video game creators at Capcom to create a horrifyingly authentic haunted house based on some of the popular video games from the Resident Evil series. Guests will become desperate survivors inside the viral catastrophe, Raccoon City. As they journey through the city, they'll encounter vicious characters from the games such as Lickers, bloodthirsty zombies, packs of Cerberuses and even Nemesis himself. Fans will be completely transported inside the video game realm - to the extent that one room in the haunted house will appear as if an action-packed fight scene is paused, as if the gamer has taken a quick break before returning to the horror of Raccoon City.
The Resident Evil franchise is now firmly established as a mainstay of contemporary culture with blockbuster live action movies, CG anime, manga, novels and numerous merchandising lines being produced alongside the videogame series. To date, the Resident Evil series of video games has achieved global sales of more than 57 million units.
Here's what Resident Evil 6 video game producer Yoshiaki Hirabayashi had to say about working with Universal Studios.
"It's such a great delight to work with Universal on a haunted house based on the Resident Evil games. The games have become synonymous with survival horror and we look forward to delivering a new way for consumers to experience the Resident Evil world we have created in the haunted house at Halloween Horror Nights."
Michael Aiello, Creative Director for Universal Orlando's Halloween Horror Nights, had this to say in his own statement.
"Resident Evil is a perfect final addition to Halloween Horror Nights 23. We were able to create incredibly elaborate sets that plant you right in the midst of Raccoon City's apocalyptic nightmare, along with terrifying adversaries that will send them running."
For a detailed listing of each experience featured at this year's event, see below.
Universal Orlando's Halloween Horror Nights 23 will take place select nights from Sept. 20 to Nov. 2. Tickets and vacation packages are on sale now and can be purchased at Halloweenhorrornights.com/orlando. For details on special offers, please see below. Due to the event's popularity, tickets for weekend nights are expected to sell out and should be purchased well in advance.
Halloween Horror Nights 23 - An Overview
- Resident Evil: Escape from Raccoon City - Raccoon City is overrun with Umbrella Corporation's most terrifying experiments-and the only option is complete destruction. You'll need to duck and dodge Lickers, Hunters, and Nemesis himself if you have any chance of escaping Capcom's video game terrors before missiles send everything back to hell.
- - The Walking Dead: No Safe Haven - Walk in the footsteps of the survivors as Season 3 of AMC's horror hit relentlessly attacks you from all sides. Stay alert as walkers could trap you anywhere along your journey from the town of Woodbury to the claustrophobic confines of the derelict prison.
- - Evil Dead - Relive "The Most Terrifying Film You Will Ever Experience" as gruesome Deadites try to possess your soul. There is nowhere to hide as every creaking floor board and tangled vine is ready to pull you down, making you one with the Evil Dead.
- - The Cabin in the Woods - Experience a live recreation of the film that ripped the horror genre inside out. Beneath the cabin's rustic appearance lies a secret facility that unleashes terrifying beings that you thought only existed in nightmares.
- - An American Werewolf in London - Based on the John Landis horror classic, you'll travel to the Slaughtered Lamb, experience the gruesome wolf attack on the moors, and live the chaos of Piccadilly Circus. Beware the moon because tonight it brings only death.
- - Urban Legends: La Llorona - She is known as the weeping woman. To hear her mournful cries sends chills colder than the murky, watery depths she drowned her children in. Forced to eternally walk the earth, she seeks others to share her pain and suffering, now and forever.
- - Afterlife: Death's Vengeance - Serial killer, Bobby "The Blade" Galletta, is about to meet Ole' Sparky. 2000 volts are going to send him into a horrific realm of pain and suffering. His victims are bound to turn Bobby's afterlife into an unimaginable and infernal torment.
- - Havoc2: Derailed - Hang on tight aboard a militaristic train convoy that is secretly transporting the "Dogs of War"-a genetically engineered super soldier outfit. These bloodthirsty maniacs are only bent on mayhem and destruction of a speeding train. This is Havoc!
Street Experience: The Walking Dead: The Undead Streets
For the first time ever, The Walking Dead has overtaken the streets of Universal Studios. From Atlanta through the forests and onto Woodbury, you'll have to fight your way through some of the most iconic locations in the show if you want to survive the night.
- Bill and Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure - Party on as those two most excellent dudes return to skewer the biggest stories of the past year with the biggest names in pop culture.
- - The Rocky Horror Picture Show - A Tribute - Let's do the Time Warp again! Rock out to clips from the classic cult film with your favorite Transvestite, live tribute performers, and audience participants.