Is San Andreas 2 still happening? Director Brad Peyton doesn't seem totally sure, but he sounds perfectly happy to do the sequel, assuming Warner Bros. still wants to proceed with it. Peyton teamed with Dwayne Johnson for San Andreas in 2015, which wasn't just a satisfying modern disaster movie, but a surprisingly successful one as well. With that success came the news that the studio was developing a sequel. Though, news on that front has been quiet for some time now. But Peyton gives some hope that it may still happen.
The director is currently promoting his latest collaboration with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, the video game adaptation Rampage. During a recent interview, Brad Peyton was asked if he knew what his next project was going to be, and if that project might wind up being San Andreas 2. Peyton says he would be happy to do it, but really, he just wants to work with Johnson again no matter what the case. Here's what he had to say about it.
"I don't know what I'm going to do next. I would happily do San Andreas 2, or Rampage 2, or anything with Dwayne. But I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do next."
We reported in February of 2016 that Warner Bros. was developing San Andreas 2. The sequel, at least at the time, was said to be going global and would tackle the infamous Ring of Fire. Since then, there have been few official updates. Much of that likely has to do with the fact that Dwayne Johnson is easily one of the most in-demand stars in Hollywood and has an increasingly massive slate of projects in development. That means not everything will end up seeing the light of day.
As Brad Peyton mentions, Rampage 2 might wind up being an option. Rampage hits theaters on April 13 and, though full reviews haven't arrived yet, early indication is that this is a video game movie that actually works for once. If box office can follow some buzz, Warner Bros. may be eager to turn the giant monster flick into a franchise. So that would be yet another thing that could get in the way of San Andreas 2 actually happening. But would that really be such a bad thing?
San Andreas made $473.9 million at the worldwide box office, making it a bankable hit. That said, it more or less felt like a complete story on its own. San Andreas 2 always seemed like something of a cash grab, and since it's already been three years, the timely window of opportunity is closing, if it hasn't already. Plus, Dwayne Johnson has his plate more than full. He's got his Fast and Furious spin-off, set to arrive next year, as well as the original thriller Red Notice, which became the subject of a massive studio bidding war and is now a top priority. There's also Disney's Jungle Cruise and Fast and Furious 9 to worry about as well. So yeah, while the San Andreas sequel may not be totally dead, it doesn't seem like a priority right now. This news comes to us courtesy of CinemaBlend.