AMC Theatres and Fever Productions today announced an exclusive partnership on the national theatrical release of the highly anticipated horror/thriller film Smiley from director Michael J. Gallagher (Totally Sketch). Beginning Oct. 12, AMC will exclusively release the film theatrically through its AMC independent platform on 28 screens in 14 markets including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston and Atlanta. The release will also be supported by a marketing campaign from AMC.
Smiley, co-written by YouTube sensation Gallagher and Glasgow Phillips (South Park), and produced by Michael Wormser (Some Guy Who Kills People) of Level 10 Films, has an enormous fan base to call on. Gallagher and his YouTube partners on Totally Sketch, as well as the other performers in the film including Shane Dawson (Shane Dawson's TV) and Toby Turner (The Annoying Orange), have over 11 million subscribers, 2.2 billion views and 4 million plus fans on Facebook/Twitter combined. The trailer has accumulated over 15 million views since its debut.
The story of the film follows a mentally fragile college student named Ashley (Caitlin Gerard from Magic Mike and The Social Network) who, after learning of an urban legend in which a mysterious serial killer named "Smiley" can be summoned through the Internet, must decide whether she is losing her mind or becoming Smiley's next victim. Smiley also stars Melanie Papalia (Endgame) and Andrew James Allen (Make It or Break It), with Roger Bart (Desperate Housewives), Keith David (The Thing) and Liza Weil (Scandal) rounding out the cast.
The deal was brokered by Michael J. Gallagher and Michael Wormser for Fever Productions and Nikkole Denson-Randolph, Vice President of Alternative and Special Content at AMC.
In addition to the AMC release, the film will be available on more traditional platforms including DVD, Blu-Ray, iTunes, Redbox and cable VOD after the traditional theatrical release window has closed.
"We are very proud to partner with AMC through the AMC independent program for the theatrical release of Smiley. Nikkole and the entire AMC team have been tremendous partners in bringing the film to theaters, all across the nation. Smiley is a truly independent film and AMC independent has created an unprecedented opportunity for filmmakers like myself to bring their films to mainstream audiences, without a middleman. This exciting partnership gives us the chance to deliver a thrilling, interactive moviegoing experience for the fans, just in time for Halloween," said director Gallagher.
"We're excited to partner with Michael Wormser, Michael J. Gallagher and Fever Productions as we help bring this movie, which continues to gather a growing interest, to a wider audience," said Denson-Randolph.
Smiley's Theatrical Markets include:
- Atlanta: AMC Southlake Pavilion 24; AMC Barrett Commons 14
- - Chicago: AMC Crestwood 18; AMC Village Crossing 18, AMC Cicero 14
- - Cincinnati: AMC Newport on the Levee 20
- - Columbia, SC: AMC Dutch Square 14
- - Houston: AMC Gulf Pointe 30; AMC Studio 30; AMC Deerbrook 24
- - Los Angeles: AMC Ontario Mills 30; AMC Orange 30; AMC Norwalk 20; AMC Universal Citywalk 19; AMC Burbank Town Ctr. 8
- - Miami-Ft. Lauderdale: AMC Aventura Mall 24; AMC Sunset Place 24
- - New York/New Jersey: AMC Palisades Center 21; AMC Jersey Gardens 20; AMC New Brunswick 18
- - New York/Manhattan: AMC Empire 25
- - Norfolk/Portsmouth/Newport News/Hampton: AMC Hampton 24; AMC Lynnhaven 18
- - Philadelphia: AMC Cherry Hill 24; AMC Neshaminy 24
- - San Francisco/Oakland-San Jose: AMC Mercado 20
For more information on the film, screenings and exclusive content, go to SmileyMovie.com.