Based on Live+7 ratings from The Nielsen Company, the fourth season premiere episode of FX's critically acclaimed hit drama series Sons of Anarchy became the most-watched program in the network's 17-year history.
The first-run telecast of the Season 4 premiere of Sons (9/6/11, 10-11:30 PM) delivered 6.5 million Total Viewers, 4.3 million Adults 18-49 and 2.5 million Men 18-49, which rank as basic cable's top-drama series telecast in those Adult demos in 2011. On a Live+7 comparison, the season four premiere posted increases of +25% in Total Viewers and +20% in Adults 18-49 versus the third season premiere. The episode also set a record for FX in Adults 25-54 (4.2 million), Men 25-54 (2.4 million), and Households (4.6 million).
The first-run and encore telecasts of the season four premiere episode combined to deliver 9.5 million Total Viewers, 6.3 Million Adults 18-49 and 3.7 million Men 18-49.
The DVR lift between Live+SameDay and Live+7 for the season four premiere were +31% in Total Viewers (+1.5 million), +33% in Adults 18-49 (+1.1 million), and +34% in Men 18-49 (+650,000).
Listed below are the top five highest-rated telecasts ever on FX.
- 1) 9/6/2011 Sons of Anarchy Season 4 [premiere] 6.46 million viewers
- 2) 6/1/2003 FX Original Move: 44 Minutes 6.09 million viewers
- 3) 6/5/2005 Nextel Cup Race 6.05 million viewers
- 4) 6/4/2006 Nextel Cup race 5.9 million viewers
- 5) 12/20/2005 Nip/Tuck Season 3 [finale] 5.6 million viewers
- 1) 9/6/2011 Sons of Anarchy Season 4 [premiere] 4.2 million viewers
- 2) 10/30/2007 Nip/Tuck Season 5 [premiere] 3.95 million viewers
- 3) 12/20/2005 Nip/Tuck Season 4 [finale] 3.91 million viewers
- 4) 12/1/2009 Sons of Anarchy Season 2 [finale] 3.68 million viewers
- 5) 9/20/2005 Nip/Tuck Season 3 [premiere] 3.67 million viewers
- 1) 9/6/2011 Sons of Anarchy Season 4 [premiere] 2.5 million viewers
- 2) 9/7/2010 Sons of Anarchy Season 3 [premiere] 2.4 million viewers
- 3) 12/1/2009 Sons of Anarchy Season 2 [finale] 2.3 million viewers
- 4) 9/8/2009 Sons of Anarchy Season 2 [premiere] 2.2 million viewers
- 5) 10/6/09 Sons of Anarchy Season 2 [episode 5] 2.07 million viewers
- 1) 9/6/2011 Sons of Anarchy Season 4 [premiere]4.1 million viewers
- 2) 6/1/2003 FX Original Movie: 44 Minutes 3.52 million viewers
- 3) 9/7/2010 Sons of Anarchy Season 3 [premiere] 3.5 million viewers
- 4) 12/1/2009 Sons of Anarchy Season 2 [finale] 3.46 million viewers
- 5) 9/20/2005 Nip/Tuck Season 3 [premiere] 3.45 million viewrers
Source: NTI; all FX telecasts as dated. Live+7 (000)s. Data prior to 12/26/05 is program 'Live'.
In tomorrow night's all new episode of Sons of Anarchy, Una Venta (Airs September 27, 10:00 PM ET), SAMCRO makes a run to set up a new business venture while Gemma makes a new ally in Charming. (Written by Kurt Sutter & Marco Ramirez; Directed by Bill Gierhart)
Sons of Anarchy is an adrenalized drama with darkly comedic undertones that explores a notorious outlaw motorcycle club's (MC) desire to protect its livelihood while ensuring that their simple, sheltered town of Charming, California remains exactly that, Charming. The MC must confront threats from drug dealers, corporate developers, and overzealous law officers. Behind the MC's familial lifestyle and legally thriving automotive shop is a ruthless and illegally thriving arms business. The seduction of money, power, and blood.
Jackson 'Jax' Teller (Charlie Hunnam) is the MC's vice-president who is tested by his growing apprehension for its lawlessness, Gemma Teller Morrow (Katey Sagal) is Jax's force-of-nature mother, and Clarence 'Clay' Morrow (Ron Perlman) is Jax's stepfather and MC president. The triangle of Mother, Son, and Stepfather will ultimately reveal the dark secrets in this family's past and the lengths they will go to protect their sins.
This season begins with SAMCRO fresh out of jail and back into Charming. Upon their arrival, they encounter new law enforcement and head right back to business. The club is pressed with a decision that could challenge what SOA has always stood for and brings forth an unlikely alliance. With Jax, fresh out of a jail and the birth of his newborn son, he is forced to put new plans into motion that could affect the club and ultimately his family.