Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) today announced that 20th Century Fox, Walt Disney Pictures, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Universal Pictures, and Warner Bros. Digital Distribution will offer high definition (HD) movies for purchase and rental on the PlayStation Network video delivery service in the United States. PlayStation Network is the first to offer high definition movies for purchase from all of the major movie studios, further establishing PlayStation3 (PS3) as the preeminent home entertainment platform for this year's most popular and critically acclaimed high definition movies.
"Securing high definition content from these studios is another significant milestone further validating PlayStation Network as a complete entertainment network in the home. PlayStation Network is the first and only service to deliver high definition home entertainment from all six major studios, directly to consumers for download," said Peter Dille, senior vice president, marketing and PlayStation Network, SCEA. "PlayStation Network continues to offer the most comprehensive catalogue of HD movies to PlayStation Network members that realize the wide-ranging entertainment power of the PS3 system."
The PS3 system is the most complete home entertainment solution on the market today, enabling consumers to enjoy high-definition games and movies, as well as listen to music, view photos, browse the Internet and more. Today's announcement joins one of the industry's strongest home entertainment brands with the major media companies that produce and distribute a substantial number of films. At launch, the content will be available in the U.S. only, with plans to launch soon in the U.K., France, Germany, and Spain.
New titles available today on PlayStation Network include:
- 20th Century Fox - Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian, Jennifer's Body and Fantastic Mr. Fox (on March 23)
- - Walt Disney Pictures - Disney Pixar's Up, Jerry Bruckheimer's G-Force and Disney's Earth
- - Paramount Pictures - Star Trek, Paranormal Activity and Zoolander
- - Sony Pictures - This Is It, 2012, District 9 and Zombieland
- - Universal - Inglourious Basterds, Couples Retreat and Public Enemies
- - Warner Bros. Digital Distribution - The Hangover, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and The Wizard of Oz