Spider-man 2: Hailed as the best reviewed film among a crowded summer of mega-hits, the highly-acclaimed Spider-Man 2 leaps onto two-disc DVD and VHS on Tuesday, Nov. 30 from Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment. The film opened to shattering numbers at the box office so far, earning $361 million domestically and over $700 million worldwide.
The Spider-Man 2 two-disc DVD, arriving just in time for the holidays, will be available in wide and full screen versions. Other SKUs available will be a DVD two-pack of the original Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 (in both wide and full screen two-packs) and a Spider-Man 2 Superbit DVD which uses a high bit-rate digital transfer process which optimizes video quality and offers both DTS and 5.1 audio. Also available is a collectible gift set containing the Spider-Man 2 widescreen DVD, a postcard collection of Spider-Man 2 artwork, exclusive limited edition 25-page comic book artists' portfolio, collectible "concept-to-screen comparison" portfolio and a re-print of the Marvel comic book, The Amazing Spider-Man #50, titled "Spider-Man No More."
The celebrated sequel garnered national acclaim and earned applause from Peter Travers at Rolling Stone who called Spider-Man 2 "... a rare comic-book sequel that one-ups the original." Tough film critics Ebert & Roeper gave Spider-Man 2 "two thumbs way up!"
Once again starring Tobey Maguire (Spider-Man, Seabiscuit, The Cider House Rules), Kirsten Dunst (Spider-Man, Mona Lisa Smile, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Cat's Meow), James Franco (Spider-Man, The Company, City By The Sea), and Alfred Molina (Identity, Frida, Chocolat), the sequel reunites the original film's outstanding production team: director Sam Raimi (Spider-Man, The Gift, Evil Dead, A Simple Plan), producer Laura Ziskin (Spider-Man, As Good As It Gets, To Die For) and Marvel's Avi Arad (Spider-Man, The Hulk, X-Men and X2: X-Men United).
The Spider-Man 2 two-disc DVD is loaded with more than ten hours of all new content and includes an exclusive 12-part documentary on the making of Spider-Man 2, a groundbreaking multi-angle behind-the-scenes featurette on the making of the action-packed sequence on the Pier, director and talent commentaries, bloopers and more. Arguably one of the most impressive comic-book-turned-movie properties, the Spider-Man 2 DVD is expected to set all-time records, surpassing the original DVD's record-breaking scores.
"Spider-Man's extraordinary mass appeal crosses demographics of young and old and possesses an allure to both action fans and romantic movie-goers," said Benjamin S. Feingold, President of Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment division. "Translating across audiences, the Spider-Man 2 DVD is poised to rank as one of the most popular choices on everyone's year-end holiday wish list and a must-have purchase that will dominate home entertainment revenue in the fourth quarter. It will be an instant collector's item."
SPECIAL DVD BONUS FEATURES INCLUDE:
* Commentary with director Sam Raimi, Tobey Maguire, producer Avi Arad and co-producer Grant Curtis
* Technical Commentary
* Blooper Reel
* "Spidey Sense 2" trivia track with "pop-up" facts and trivia about the film and the world of Spider-Man
* Four Web-i-sodes -- original online featurettes from the film's theatrical release
* Train "Ordinary" music video
* "Making the Amazing" -- A 12-part documentary from pre-production to the Hollywood premiere
* "Hero in Crisis" -- A deeper look into Peter Parker and his personal battles in the continuing story of Spider-Man
* Ock-Umentary: "Eight Arms to Hold You" -- A special look at Doc Ock from the comics to the big screen
* "Interwoven: The Women of Spider-Man" -- A look into the lives of Mary Jane, Aunt May and the other women in Peter Parker's life
* "Enter the Web" -- A groundbreaking multi-angle look behind-the-scenes at the climatic Pier sequence captured in real-time
* Art Gallery -- A collection of Alex Ross' paintings used in the opening credits of the film
* Activision's "Spider-Man 2: Spinning the Game" -- A behind-the-scenes look at the making of "Spider-Man 2: The Game"
Spider-Man 2 Gift Set Items
* 2-Disc Widescreen Special Edition DVD
* Exclusive Limited Edition Portfolio of Artwork
* Over 25 well known comic book artists created artwork inspired by "Spider-Man 2" specifically for, and only available in, this collector's edition DVD
* Collectible "Concept to Screen Comparison" Portfolio
* View the transformation of various scenes of "Spider-Man 2" from sketches and concepts to images from the final production
* Postcard Collection of "Spider-Man 2" Artwork
* Five postcards which feature original artwork used in the theatrical advertising campaign of "Spider-Man 2" including the well known trilogy campaign of "Sacrifice," "Choice" and "Destiny"
* "The Amazing Spider-Man #50" Comic Book
* Reduced size reprinting of the original comic book in which Peter Parker decides to give up being Spider-Man
In SPIDER-MAN®2, the latest installment in the blockbuster Spider-Man® series, based on the classic Marvel Comics hero, Tobey Maguire returns as the mild-mannered Peter Parker, who is juggling the delicate balance of his dual life as college student and a superhuman crime fighter. Peter's life becomes even more complicated when he confronts a new nemesis, the brilliant Otto Octavius (Alfred Molina) who has been reincarnated as the maniacal and multi-tentacled "Doc Ock." When Doc Ock kidnaps MJ (Kirsten Dunst), Spider-Man must swing back into action as the adventure reaches new heights of unprecedented excitement.