21.15 MILLION WATCH FINAL SERIES GAME
The New York Yankees' 27th World Series victory was watched by an average of 21.15 million viewers on Fox Wednesday night -- nearly as many as tuned in to the other three networks combined. During the 8:30 p.m. half hour, 23.63 million were watching, according to Nielsen Research. Despite the strong ratings, CBS drew decent numbers throughout the night, with Criminal Minds attracting 11.98 million viewers and CSI: NY, 11,64 million. The Jay Leno Show once again pulled in the fewest number of viewers of any network TV show Wednesday with just 4.73 million. Meanwhile, Fox News's Sean Hannity and MSNBC's Keith Olbermann each ditched their live telecasts Wednesday night and headed out to Yankee Stadium instead. Olbermann posted a (very blurry) picture of his cross-town rival, who was seated next to him during the game. The photo was captioned: "And lastly, a reminder that baseball does erase boundaries. The guy I'm taking a photo of, who's taking a photo of me -- we get along perfectly at the ballpark -- less so during our day jobs."
FRIDAY-NIGHT LIGHTS-OUT FOR NUMB3RS?
In a sign that the onetime hit series Numb3rs may soon be 86'ed, CBS on Thursday cut back the number of episodes ordered for the current season to 16 from the previously announced 22. While the series has generally performed better than its rivals in Friday-night competition, all shows aired on Fridays now draw relatively small audiences. Although usually winning its time period at 10:00 p.m., the audience for the veteran crime procedural has fallen to 7.9 million. The series, currently in its sixth season, has already produced enough episodes to allow it to be sold in syndication, and in fact earlier episodes are currently airing on TNT.
TV SERIES MAY BECOME "SEQUEL" TO 2012
While it may not be unusual for producers to be discussing a sequel to a blockbuster movie even before the original is released, it is unusual for them to suggest that the sequel ought to be produced for television. But that is the case with the disaster movie 2012, which opens next week and concludes with the destruction of the Earth. Entertainment Weekly reported on its website Wednesday that Roland Emmerich, the director/producer of the movie, and Howard Gordon, its executive producer, are already developing a TV series, to be called 2013, that picks up where the new movie leaves off. Emmerich told the magazine, "I think it will focus on a group of people who survived but not on the boats, and maybe they were on a piece of land that was spared or one that became an island in the process of the crust moving. There are so many possibilities of what they could do." EW reported that Gordon, who is also the exec producer of Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice, may have already entered into talks with ABC to develop the drama. Gordon suggested that it could serve as a replacement for Lost. At the end of the movie, he told the magazine, "there are some people who survive and the question is how will these survivors build a new world and what will it look like. That might make an interesting TV series."
SEX TAPE ABORTS MISS CALIFORNIA'S LAWSUIT
Former Miss California USA Carrie Prejean has suddenly dropped her $1-million lawsuit against the Miss California USA Pageant organization after a pageant lawyer came up with a solo hardcore sex tape, which has never been released publicly, the website TMZ reported Wednesday. Prejean had claimed she was ousted for voicing her support of California's anti-gay-marriage initiative during the televised beauty contest and maintained that she was being punished for voicing her religious beliefs. The pageant had countersued, demanding, among other things, that Prejean repay the $5,200 it spent for her breast implants. TMZ said that it had seen the video in question months ago "but decided not to post it because it was so racy." It said that "it took about 15 seconds for Carrie to jettison her demand and essentially walk away with nothing" after she was confronted with the tape, TMZ reported. CNN Wednesday night cited a source with knowledge of the settlement talks as saying that TMZ's details were accurate. Both sides signed a confidentiality agreement.
FOUNDER OF COMIC CON DEAD AT 76
Shel Dorf, founder of San Diego's annual Comic-Con gathering, died Tuesday of complications from diabetes, a spokesman said Wednesday. He was 76. Dorf's first convention in 1970 attracted about 300 comic-book fans. This year, it drew 125,000 and became the launch pad for an assortment of sci-fi and fantasy films and TV shows.