Drafthouse Films, Magnet Pictures and Timpson Films have announced the full roster of directors signed on to participate in their international co-production The ABCs of Death, an anthology horror film featuring segments directed by over two dozen leading talents in contemporary genre film from around the world. The feature is comprised of 26 individual episodes, each helmed by a different director assigned a letter of the alphabet inspiring a single word about death. Currently in pre-production, the film's producers reserved the 26th director slot for a worldwide contest to find tomorrow's next great horror filmmaker. The contest ends October 1st. More submission information can be found here.
In May 2011, the film's producers announced that enlisted directors were to include Jason Eisener (Hobo with a Shotgun), Ti West (The House of the Devil and the upcoming The Innkeepers), Ben Wheatley (SXSW 2011 favorite Kill List), Srdjan Spasojevic of A Serbian Film infamy, and 18 others. Joining the roster are recent signees Jon Schnepp (co-director of Adult Swim's epic animated series Metalocalypse) and Jorge Michel Grau, whose jarring 2010 cannibal drama Somos Lo Que Hay (We Are What We Are) garnered a great deal of notice and established him as one of the more fearless rising filmmakers of the era.
"Having Jon Schnepp onboard is really going to bring some anarchic diversity to the project," says co-producer Ant Timpson. "His work on Metalocalypse, The Venture Bros. and Aqua Teen Hunger Force shows that he is the real deal; a supremely multi-talented guy with a unique perspective and set of skills to match."
"Jorge Michel Grau won top honors, the 'Next Wave' award, at last year's Fantastic Fest for his feature We Are What We Are. We are delighted that this visionary filmmaker is joining our already strong roster," says co-producer Tim League.
As the search continues for the 26th director you can view entries that have been submitted, including demented gems such as "T is for Toilet" and "T is for Talk" at 26th.TheABCsOfDeath.com.
The following is the list of participating directors, along with their countries of origin and a reference title from each of their filmographies:
- Kaare Andrews (Altitude), USA
- Angela Bettis (Roman), USA
- Ernesto Díaz Espinoza (Mandrill), Chile
- Jason Eisener (Hobo with a Shotgun), Canada
- Bruno Forzani & Hélène Cattet (Amer), Belgium
- Adrian Garcia Bogliano (Cold Sweat), Mexico
- Xavier Gens (Frontier(s); Hitman), France
- Jorge Michel Grau (We Are What We Are), Mexico
- Noboru Iguchi, (Robo Geisha), Japan
- Thomas Cappelen Malling (Norwegian Ninja), Norway
- Anders Morgenthaler (Princess), Denmark
- Yoshihiro Nishimura (Gore Police), Japan
- Banjong Pisanthanakun (Shutter),Thailand
- Simon Rumley (Red White & Blue), UK
- Marcel Sarmiento (Deadgirl), USA
- Jon Schnepp (Metalocalypse; The Venture Bros.), USA
- Srdjan Spasojevic (A Serbian Film), Serbia
- Timo Tjahjanto (Macabre), Indonesia
- Andrew Traucki (The Reef), Australia
- Nacho Vigalondo (Timecrimes), Spain
- Jake West (Doghouse), UK
- Ti West (The House of the Devil, The Innkeepers), USA
- Ben Wheatley (Down Terrace, Kill List), UK
- Adam Wingard (A Horrible Way to Die), USA
- Yûdai Yamaguchi (Yakuza Weapon), Japan
Visit the Facebook page for news and updates - Facebook.com/TheABCsOfDeath.