The Avengers is currently shooting in Cleveland, Ohio, working towards a May 4, 2012 release date. The production has transformed the city's East 9th Street to resemble New York City's 42nd Street for a pivotal battle sequence. Principle photography on this epic fight scene begins August 15, after the cast members wrap up their shoot at NASA's Plum Brook facility in Sandusky, Ohio.
Here's what executive producer Patricia Whitcher had to say about this upcoming shoot in Cleveland.
"We have to keep people back a bit for safety reasons -- there will be explosions -- but they will be able to see the actors and their favorite Avengers on the street during the filming."
The idea to use East 9th Street for the production came when Patricia Whitcher was shooting The Soloist and utilized the street for that production. She also explained why they used Cleveland for this part of the production and apologized for any inconvenience the shoot may cause residents of Cleveland.
"We understand this is an inconvenience for everyone and we appreciate it. The businesses that are on this street will remain open throughout the filming. There will be six days of mayhem on this street with lots of explosions and cars flipping. We could not do that in New York. But don't worry. When we're done we'll return the city just the way we found it."
Here is the production schedule for The Avengers' Ohio shoot below.
- Filming on East Ninth Street from Euclid to Prospect avenues, Aug. 15 to Aug. 24.
- - Filming on Euclid Avenue from East Sixth Street to East 12th Street, Aug. 22, through Sept. 2.
- - Filming on Walnut Avenue from East Ninth Street to East 12th Street, Aug. 17 to Aug. 30.
- - Filming on South Roadway at Superior Avenue and Ontario Street, Aug. 29.
- - Filming on the Detroit-Superior (Veterans Memorial) Bridge at intermittent times in August.
- - Public Square in front of Tower City will be closed intermittently for filming.