The critically acclaimed and visually spectacular epic, The Aviator, debuts May 24 on a two-disc DVD and VHS from Warner Home Video. From five-time Academy Award® nominated director Martin Scorsese ("Gangs of New York," "Goodfellas"), two-time Academy Award nominated writer John Logan ("Gladiator," "Last Samurai") and featuring a stellar ensemble cast including two-time Academy Award nominee Leonardo DiCaprio ("Gangs of New York," "Catch Me If You Can"), Academy Award® winner Cate Blanchett ("The Lord of the Rings" Films, "Elizabeth"), Kate Beckinsale ("Pearl Harbor," "Van Helsing"), John C. Reilly ("The Hours," "Chicago," "Gangs of New York"), Alan Alda ("What Women Want"), and Alec Baldwin ("The Cooler," "Along Came Polly"), The Aviator is "Brilliantly entertaining," says The New Yorker's David Denby.
Recognized on 32 Critics' Top Ten Film lists, The Aviator was the most recognized film of the year with 11 Academy Award® nominations including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Actor, and 5 Academy Award wins including Best Supporting Actress. The film was also honored with three Golden Globe Awards including Best Picture, Best Actor and Best Score and is one of the AFI and National Board of Review's Top Ten Movies of the Year.
"The Aviator" will be available at $29.95 SRP on a 2-disc DVD in both widescreen and full screen formats. The VHS will be priced for rental.
One of the 20th century's most compelling figures, Howard Hughes was a wily industrialist, glamorous movie producer and an unstoppable American innovator -- but he thought of himself first and foremost as an aviator. In this spectacular epic, director Martin Scorsese focuses on the most prolific period in the life of Hughes (played by Best Actor Golden Globe® Award winner Leonardo DiCaprio): the mid-1920s through the 1940s. It was a time of brilliant aeronautical invention, turbulent love affairs (including one with Katharine Hepburn, played by Cate Blanchett) and savage corporate battles. Prepare yourself for the ride of the lifetime of this billionaire, genius, madman.
The two-disc DVD release of The Aviator will inspire with bonus features including:
Commentary with Director Martin Scorsese
• Deleted scene: Howard Tells Ava About His Car Accident
• A Life Without Limits: The Making of The Aviator
• The Role of Howard Hughes in Aviation History
• Modern Marvels: Howard Hughes, A Documentary by the History Channel
• The Visual Effects of The Aviator
• The Affliction of Howard Hughes: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
• The Age of Glamour: The Hair And Makeup of The Aviator
• Costuming The Aviator: The Work of Sandy Powell
• Constructing The Aviator: The Work of Dante Ferretti
• An evening with Leonardo DiCaprio and Alan Alda
• OCD Panel Discussion With Leonardo DiCaprio, Martin Scorsese, and Howard Hughes' Widow Terry Moore
• Still Gallery
• Scoring The Aviator: The Work Of Howard Shore
• The Wainwright Family - Loudon, Rufus and Martha