It's time to feel lucky pretty soon on DVD and Blu-Ray. Warner Bros. announced at a recent press conference that it will be releasing the five films in the Dirty Harry series in a Dirty Harry: Ultimate Collectors Edition set.
The set will include all five films - Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, The Enforcer, Sudden Impact and The Dead Pool - in brand new special or deluxe editions. The set will be available in standard and Blu-Ray formats. The set will also include a bonus disc, Clint Eastwood: Out of the Shadows. The set will be priced at $74.92 SRP in standard and $129.95 SRP on Blu-Ray.
The new editions will also be sold separately in the standard formats as well. Dirty Harry will be available in a two-disc special edition on standard and Blu-Ray, but the rest of the films will only be available individually in the standard format. The Dirty Harry special edition will be priced at $20.97 in standard and $34.99 on Blu-Ray, while the rest of the individual standard films will be available for $14.97 SRP.
Dirty Harry Special Edition
(2-disc DVD and Single Disc Blu-ray Hi-Def format)
Set in San Francisco in 1971, Dirty Harry is the gritty and suspenseful film that follows the story of Inspector Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood), who earns the moniker Dirty Harry for his reputation of handling the dirtiest homicidal cases. The City by the Bay faces the terror of a serial killer known as Scorpio (Andrew Robinson), who viciously snipes at innocent victims and demands ransom through notes left at the scene of the crime. Callahan is assigned to the case along with his newest partner, Inspector Chico Gonzalez (Reni Santoni) to track down Scorpio and stop him. Using humiliation along with cat and mouse type games against Callahan, Scorpio is put to the test by the cop with the very dirty attitude.
- New Commentary by Richard Schickel -- Filmmaker and Eastwood biographer Schickel examines the landmark film that revolutionized cinematic crime drama for all time.
- New Featurette The Long Shadow of Dirty Harry -- An examination of the influence and legacy of Dirty Harry.
- Featurette Dirty Harry: The Original -- Clint Eastwood and the film's creators look back at the birth of the modern action hero: Dirty Harry.
- Featurette Dirty Harry's Way -- A promotional short on the movie Dirty Harry focusing on the toughness of the movies' main characters.
- Interview Gallery -- Includes interviews with Patricia Clarkson, Joel Cox, Clint Eastwood, Hal Holbrook, Evan Kim, John Milius, Ted Post, Andy Robinson, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Robert Urich.
- 1993 TV Special Clint Eastwood: The Man from Malpaso -- A look at the life and career of actor/director Clint Eastwood, including scenes from his past film and television work and interviews with friends, fellow actors and crew members who have worked with him over the years.
- Trailer Gallery
Magnum Force, Deluxe Edition
Magnum Force, which was released in 1973 as a sequel to Dirty Harry has Eastwood reprise his famous role as Inspector Callahan, which has him face crooked cops and a traitorous boss as well as suffering re-assignment from homicide to stakeout duty after his handling of the Scorpio case. Callahan and his new partner, Earlington "Early" Smith (Felton Perry), are called off a case in which a man acquitted of murder is found dead along with his chauffer, lawyer and bodyguard. Soon after, a mafia figure, and several of his family and friends are also gunned down. Then, a well-known pimp is murdered too. Callahan and 'Early' are soon re-assigned to investigate the homicides.
- New Commentary by writer John Milius -- In this gritty, entertaining commentary, legendary Hollywood screenwriter Milius discusses Eastwood, the world of Dirty Harry and the rugged resilience of crime drama in American cinema.
- New Featurette A Moral Right: The Politics of Dirty Harry -- Filmmakers, social scientists and authors take a provocative look at the moral, political and ethical themes of the Dirty Harry films.
- The Hero Cop: Yesterday and Today
- Trailer Gallery
The Enforcer Deluxe Edition
Released in 1976, The Enforcer marks the third installment in the Dirty Harry franchise. The film's plot has Inspector Callahan (Eastwood) paired with a new partner, policewoman, Inspector Kate Moore (Tyne Daly), as they hunt for a group of terrorists that are blackmailing the city of San Francisco for two million dollars. Callahan, none-too-pleased by being teamed up with a woman, must put his job first and the two attempt to shut down the terrorists. Moore, however, proves herself after she and Callahan pursue the terrorists to their hideout in the prison of Alcatraz.
- New Commentary by director James Fargo. Director Fargo takes an entertaining look at the film that launched his career as a director, including the day Clint Eastwood nonchalantly let him know he had the job.
- New Featurette The Business End: Violence in Cinema An unflinching look at the ongoing debate on violence in cinema.
- Featurette Harry Callahan/Clint Eastwood: Something Special in Films
- Trailer Gallery
Sudden Impact Deluxe Edition
Sudden Impact is Eastwood's fourth Dirty Harry film. Released in 1983, it follows Inspector Callahan (Eastwood) as he's shipped to San Paulo, a small town down the coast to investigate a murder. The killer is Jennifer Spencer (Sondra Locke) who out for revenge is murdering all the rapists that gang-raped her and her little sister 10 years ago. During his investigations, Callahan becomes entangled in Jennifer's own troubles - all the while never suspecting that she's the killer.
- New Commentary by renowned film critic Richard Schickel -- Author and longtime Eastwood associate Schickel uncovers layers of meaning in this, the only Dirty Harry film directed by Eastwood himself
- New Featurette The Evolution of Clint Eastwood -- An examination of the film in the context of Eastwood's broader career as a director.
- Trailer Gallery
The Dead Pool Deluxe Edition
The final film in the collection is The Dead Pool, which was originally released in 1988. The Dead Pool finds Inspector Callahan (Eastwood) investigating an unusual betting game played by a film director and his crew, which has the players create a list of 10 celebrities they think will die. The winner is the one with the highest number of dead celebrities. Soon, however, people on the list begin to die under mysterious circumstances. Callahan is assigned to the case and discovers his name has made the list.
- New Commentary by producer David Valdes and Cinematographer Jack N. Green, who discuss the challenging and rewarding experience making this the final chapter in the Dirty Harry series.
- New Featurette The Craft of Dirty Harry -- A look at the cinematographers, editors, musicians, production designers and other talent of the Dirty Harry series.
- Trailer Gallery
Dirty Harry Ultimate Collector's Edition
(7-disc DVD and 5-disc Blu-ray Hi-Def format)
Includes all five Dirty Harry films; all special features on the Dirty Harry Special Edition and Deluxe Editions, plus additional special features and contents specific to the Ultimate Collector's Edition.
UCE Special Features and Contents
- Bonus Feature-Length documentary Clint Eastwood: Out of the Shadows
- 40+ page hardcover book
- Wallet w/metal badge and removable laminated I.D. card
- Five 5"x 7" Reproduction Lobby Poster Cards plus an exclusive UCE card
- Scorpio Portrait of a Killer Poster-Sized (19" x 27") map of San Francisco detailing Harry's hunt for the killer
- Never-Before-Seen Production Correspondence