Platinum Edition 2-DISC DVD Available October 7th, 2003
Completely Restored With All-New 5.1 Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix Featuring All-New Song “Morning Report” From Sir Elton John & Tim Rice With Never-Before-Seen Animation!
Disney’s crowning achievement, the #1 animated film of all time, THE LION KING is available for the first time ever as a SPECIAL EDITION 2-Disc DVD set from Walt Disney Home Entertainment on October 7. Now “THERE IS MORE TO BE SEEN THAN HAS EVER BEEN SEEN” as this magnificent, Academy-Award‚-winning masterpiece is presented with such outstanding special features as: TWO versions of the film; an all-new song “Morning Report” by songwriters Elton John and Tim Rice; all-new animation created exclusively for the DVD; a virtual safari in 5.1 Surround Sound; exciting journeys that take you behind this fabled movie and more. Designed specifically for home theater systems, this DVD features the very finest in audio quality with the all-new 5.1 Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix, as befits the “king of all DVDs.” There is MORE TO SEE, MORE TO HEAR and MORE TO DO with the incredible LION KING SPECIAL EDITION as everyone can enjoy this greatest of Disney animated treasures in the best home viewing mode possible, available on Disney DVD for $29.99 (S.R.P.). VHS $24.99 (S.R.P.).
THERE IS MORE TO SEE:
- The LION KING SPECIAL EDITION DVD represents the film’s first-ever digital presentation of the film - a completely new and enhanced viewing experience!
- Two versions of the film are included:
- The Original Theatrical Release
- Special Edition with the all-new song “Morning Report”
- Rare deleted scenes.
- All-new 3D animation has been created exclusively for the DVD.THERE IS MORE TO HEAR:
- A Disney innovation! All-new 5.1 Disney Enhanced Home Theater mix
- Engineered by Academy Award‚ Nominated Re-recording Mixer, Terry Porter, to create a more dynamic and spatially enhanced audio-sensory experience.
- Designed specifically for home theater systems.THERE IS MORE TO DO:
- “Experiential” features that extend the movie experience including Games and a Virtual Safari in Dolby‚ Digital 5.1 Surround Sound.
- Go beyond and explore the worldwide phenomenon of THE LION KING through a breakthrough navigational system that offers five special journeys of music, film, stage, story and animal inspirations.
- Revolutionary bonus features and exciting games will appeal to families, DVD enthusiasts, movie fans and anyone interested in this classic film.
ABOUT THE DVD FEATURE HIGHLIGHTS
- Zazu hosts you on a fabulous trek through the different realms of the DVD kingdom.
- Two Versions Of The Film:
- Original theatrical release
- Special Edition with all-new song “Morning Report” seamlessly integrated into the original film.
- The Making Of The New Song “Morning Report”
- The Lion King Personality Profile Game
- All-New “Circle of Life” Music Video
- Performed by the Disney Channel’s “Circle of Stars,” including Hillary Duff (TV’s “Lizzy McGuire”), Raven Symone (TV’s “That’s So Raven”), Christy Romano (TV’s “Even Stevens”), Anneliese Van Der Pol (TV’s That’s So Raven), Orlando Brown (TV’s “The Proud Family”), Tahj Mowry (TV’s “Smart Guy”), Kyla Pratt (TV’s “The Proud Family”) and A.J. Trauth (TV’s “Even Stevens”).
- Sing Along Track
- Timon’s Grab-A-Grub Game – Disney’s FIRST EVER 2-player set top game.
- Pumbaa’s Sound Sensations Game.
- All-new sound matching game in Dolby‚ Digital 5.1 Surround Sound.'
- Deleted & Abandoned Scenes
- Bug Football
- Hakuna Matata
- Warthog Rhapsody
- Abandoned Concept for “Can You Feel The Love Tonight”
- Audio Commentary
THE LION KING SPECIAL EDITION/PAGE FOUR
Set your course for adventure across the continents or embark on a chartered journey!
- Join your outrageous tour guides Timon and Pumbaa for an action-packed blast through the wilds of Africa – in Dolby‚ Digital 5.1 surround sound!
- Learn how real animals inspired the animated Lion King characters hosted by Roy Disney
- Learn the fascinating origin and influences behind The Lion King
- Story origins
- Timeless themes
- The story comes to life
- Behind the scenes featurette on the hit musical which explores masks, costumes, puppets and more.
- Behind-The-Scenes footage
- Character design
- Computer animation
- African art inspiration
- Exclusive interviews with Sir Elton John & Tim Rice
- Lion King music videos
- African influence on the music
Plus storyboard to film comparison, early presentation reels, character design galleries, art design galleries and much more!
All DVD bonus materials subject to change.
ABOUT THE RESTORATION
THE LION KING – SPECIAL EDITION offers the highest quality digital presentation with enhanced picture available, with an All-New 5.1 Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix – creating a more dynamic and spatial audio-sensory experience. For the Special Edition, THE LION KING has been meticulously and painstakingly reformatted one frame at a time, working from the film’s original digitally stored files.
Led by the original filmmaking team from Disney’s famed Feature Animation division, a group of Disney’s top artists and technicians launched a major effort to remove dust and dirt, add detail and provide the home viewer with a digital picture and sound that is the finest possible. ABOUT THE MUSIC
All-New Song “Morning Report”
The legendary team of singer/songwriter Elton John and lyricist Tim Rice contribute the new song “Morning Report” to THE LION KING SPECIAL EDITION DVD. The DVD offers “Morning Report” on an alternate version of the film, with never-before-seen animation produced and directed by the original Feature Animation Lion King team.
Elton John and Tim Rice won the 1994 Academy Award‚ for Best Music (Song), with their song “Can You Feel The Love Tonight. ” Their outstanding contributions include such beloved songs as the buoyant “Hakuna Matata,” the upbeat “Just Can’t Wait To Be King” and the majestic song “The Circle of Life.” Hans Zimmer won the 1994 Academy Award‚ for Best Music, Original Score for his evocative musical score.
ABOUT THE CAST
THE LION KING’s stellar cast includes Matthew Broderick (TV’s “The Music Man,” Broadway’s “The Producers”), Jeremy Irons (“The Time Machine”; Academy Award‚ winner, Best Actor, “Reversal of Fortune” 1990), Robert Guillaume (TV’s “Sports Night”), James Earl Jones (“Star Wars”), Nathan Lane (Broadway’s “The Producers”), Cheech Marin (“Spy Kids 2: Island of Lost Dreams”), Ernie Sabella (TV’s “House of Mouse”), Jonathan Taylor Thomas (“The Wild Thornberrys”), Whoopi Goldberg (“Rat Race”) and Rowan Atkinson (“Bean”).
Street Date: October 7, 2003
Feature running time: Approximately 90 minutes
DVD aspect ratio: 1.66:1 (widescreen) Original Theatrical Aspect Ratio
Enhanced for 16x9 screens
Suggested retail price: $29.99 DVD (S.R.P.). $24.99 VHS (S.R.P.).
Rated: “G” General Audiences
Bonus material: Not Rated. Bonus material subject to change.
Sound: Dolby‚ Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
All-new 5.1 Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix
French language track
From the magnificent musical opening over breathtaking African vistas, to its rip-roaring, emotional climax, THE LION KING reigns supreme as one of animation’s greatest crowning achievements. Set amid the majestic beauty of the Serengeti, Disney’s epic coming-of-age saga tells of the love between a proud lion ruler Mufasa (James Earl Jones) and his son Simba (Matthew Broderick), a naïve and curious cub who “just can’t wait to be king.” (more)THE LION KING SPECIAL EDITION/PAGE SEVENWhen Simba’s envious Uncle Scar (Jeremy Irons) schemes with his hyena henchmen, including Shenzi (Whoopi Goldberg), trouble invades the kingdom. To the rescue comes a hilarious meerkat named Timon (Nathan Lane) and that warmhearted warthog, Pumbaa (Ernie Sabella) – and soon Simba joins in the carefree lifestyle of “Hakuna Matata.” With Rafiki (Robert Guillaume) at his side, Simba reclaims his true destiny and joins the “circle of life.”
Dont't forget to also check out: The Lion King