The Houston Film Critics Society honored The Social Network as the best movie of 2010 and named Jesse Eisenberg (The Social Network) and Natalie Portman (Black Swan) best actor and actress in ceremonies Saturday.
The organization also bestowed its Lifetime Achievement award to Sissy Spacek, the Quitman, Texas native who shot to fame and stayed there with brilliant career performances in Carrie, Coal Miner's Daughter and most recently, Get Low. Regardless of the style of the roles Ms. Spacek takes on, she provides gripping performances that are admired by all.
George Clooney, a veteran actor perhaps best known for his work in TV's ER, the Ocean's Eleven trilogy and Up in the Air, received the society's Humanitarian of the Year Award for his work since 2008 as one of the United Nations Messengers of Peace. His advocacy for the conflict resolution in Darfur, the Haitian earthquake and the 9/11 victims fund made Mr. Clooney a very deserving choice.
The Houston Film Critics Society awards were presented in a film clip-filled ceremony Saturday at the Museum of Fine Arts' Brown Auditorium.
The Social Network, a ground-breaking drama about the creation of Facebook, received four awards from the Houston group. Aside from Best Picture and Eisenberg's Best Actor award, David Fincher was named Best Director and Aaron Sorkin won for Best Screenplay.
The other music award went to Beck for composing the year's Best Song, "We are Sex Bob-Omb!" from Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World.
Additional winners included Christian Bale as Best Supporting Actor for his work in The Fighter, newcomer Hailee Steinfeld won Best Supporting Actress for her work in True Grit and Toy Story 3 won for Best Animated Feature.
The HFCS also recognized Jonah Hex as the Worst Film of the Year.
The society also handed out two Special Achievement in Cinema awards to Charles Dove for his work with the Rice Media Center and to Hector Luna, founder and editor of the Texas film industry magazine, C-47 Houston.
Founded in 2007, the Houston Film Critics Society is comprised of critics from the most influential Houston-area newspapers, magazines, TV & radio stations and websites with both regional and national audiences and was organized for the purpose of increasing public awareness of cinematic excellence and to encourage the publication and broadcasting of substantive critical commentary on film. This is the fourth year the organization has presented Best of the Year awards.
The Houston Film Critics Society Complete List of 2010 Winners:
- 2010 Best Picture - The Social Network
- 2010 Best Director - David Fincher, The Social Network
- 2010 Best Actor - Jesse Eisenberg, The Social Network
- 2010 Best Actress - Natalie Portman, Black Swan
- 2010 Best Supporting Actor - Christian Bale, The Fighter
- 2010 Best Supporting Actress - Hailee Steinfeld, True Grit
- 2010 Best Screenplay - Aaron Sorkin, The Social Network
- 2010 Best Animated Film - Toy Story 3
- 2010 Best Cinematography - Wally Pfister, Inception
- 2010 Best Documentary - Restrepo
- 2010 Best Foreign Film - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
- 2010 Best Original Score - Hans Zimmer, Inception
- 2010 Best Original Song - "We are Sex Bob-Omb!" from Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World, music & lyrics by Beck
- 2010 Worst Film of the Year - Jonah Hex
- 2010 Humanitarian of the Year Award - George Clooney
- 2010 Lifetime Achievement Award - Sissy Spacek
- 2010 Cinematic Achievement - Charles Dove
- 2010 Cinematic Achievement - Hector Luna
The Houston Film Critics Society Top Ten Films for 2010: