We let you guys know a few days ago that production on Back to the Future and Forrest Gump director Robert Zemeckis's upcoming remake of Roald Dahl's classic children's book The Witches starring Anne Hathaway had been suspended following a stabbing on-set. But today it turns out that production has been unaffected by Wednesday's incident. In fact, the event in question, which was originally reported to be a stabbing, is actually not a serious as we thought. It turns out the alleged victim merely suffered "a small laceration to his neck" during the confrontation. While that's nothing to snicker at, it looks like the man will survive.
Sources close to the film say that the movie's schedule remains unchanged and production at Warner Bros.' studio in Leavesden outside London, did not cease because of the on-set stabbing. Hell, even the famous Harry Potter studio tours which Leavesden hosts were unaffected. The Hertfordshire police issued a statement on the matter back on Thursday and said that a man in his 40s sustained a small laceration to his neck and was taken to hospital by ambulance, but was released later that evening following treatment. The man responsible for the "small laceration" was arrested and released on bail. Evidently, the men knew each other.
Specifically, the statement the Hertfordshire police issued on Thursday said this.
"One man, in his 40s, sustained a small laceration to his neck and was taken to hospital by ambulance. He was released later that evening following treatment. A second man, who is 54, was arrested on suspicion of wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm and released on bail until Wednesday, July 17. The men are known to each other."
Anne Hathaway stars in this new adaptation as Miss Eva Ernst aka Grand High Witch, a role infamously played by Angelica Huston in the original movie. Hathaway will be joined in this version by Octavia Spencer, Stanley Tucci, Chris Rock, Jahzir Bruno, Codie-Lei Eastick, and Simon Manyonda. Robert Zemeckis directs this new version of The Witches from a screenplay he co-wrote along with Kenya Barris and Guillermo del Toro based on the classic children's book by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The BFG author Roald Dahl.
In addition to helping pen the script for this adaptation and directing, Guillermo del Toro and Robert Zemeckis also produced the flick along with Roma and Children of Men filmmaker Alfonso Cuarón, Luke Kelly, Jack Rapke, and Brian Henson. Don Burgess is the movie's cinematographer, and Jeremiah O'Driscoll will edit it all together once shooting wraps. Esperanto Filmoj, ImageMovers, DDY, and Jim Henson Pictures are the production companies behind this big-budget remake which Warner Bros. Pictures will distribute into a theater near you on October 16, 2020.
Nicolas Roeg directed the 1990 version of the film from a screenplay written by Allan Scott based on Dahl's book, which Jim Henson, Mark Shivas, and Dusty Symonds produced. The movie starred Anjelica Huston and Mai Zetterling and featured music by Stanley Myers, cinematography by Harvey Harrison, and editing by Tony Lawson. Jim Henson Productions and Lorimar Film Entertainment were behind the flick which Warner Bros. released into UK theaters back on May 25, 1990, and US theaters on August 24, 1990. This update comes to us via Variety.