Earlier this month, Warner Home Video announced that Superman: Unbound will be released on Blu-ray and DVD May 7. The studio has unveiled three new photos from this animated superhero adventure, plus the full press release that includes special features details. Take a look at the photos, featuring Superman (Matthew Bomer), Lois Lane (Stana Katic), and Supergirl (Molly C. Quinn), then read on for all the official information.
A destructive force is devastating planets across the galaxy - with Earth next in its sights - and even Superman may not be capable of halting the terror in Superman: Unbound, the next entry in the ongoing series of DC Universe Animated Original Movies. Produced by Warner Premiere, DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Animation, the all-new, PG-13 rated film arrives May 7, 2013 from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment as a Blu-ray Combo Pack ($24.98 SRP) and DVD ($19.98 SRP), On Demand and for Digital Download. The Blu-ray Combo Pack will include UltraViolet.
Based on the Geoff Johns/Gary Frank 2008 release "Superman: Brainiac," Superman: Unbound finds the Man of Steel aptly handling day-to-day crime while helping acclimate Supergirl to Earth's customs and managing Lois Lane's expectations for their relationship. Personal issues take a back seat when the horrific force responsible for the destruction of Krypton - Brainiac - begins his descent upon Earth. Brainiac has crossed the universe, collecting cities from interesting planets - including Supergirl's home city of Kandor - and now the all-knowing, ever-improving android has his sights fixed on Metropolis. Superman must summon all of his physical and intellectual resources to protect his city, the love of his life and his newly-arrived cousin.
The film's stellar voicecast is led by Matthew Bomer (White Collar) as Superman, John Noble (Fringe, The Lord of the Rings films) as Brainiac, Stana Katic (Castle) as Lois Lane and Molly C. Quinn (Castle) as Supergirl.. Additional voices in the cast include Golden Globe Award winner Frances Conroy (Six Feet Under) as Ma Kent, Wade Williams (The Dark Knight Rises) as Perry White, Diedrich Bader (The Drew Carey Show, Office Space) as Steve Lombard, Stephen Root (Boardwalk Empire, Justified) as Zor-El, and Alexander Gould (Weeds) as Jimmy Olsen.
Supervising Producer James Tucker (Justice League, Batman: The Brave and The Bold) also directs the film from a script by Bob Goodman (Warehouse 13, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2. Here's what Warner Home Video vice president Mary Ellen Thomas had to say about this new animated movie.
"Superman: Unbound adds an all-new chapter to the growing legacy of animated films featuring the Man of Steel and his epic challenges to maintain peace on Earth. Matthew Bomer's voice epitomizes the All-American hero that is Superman, and John Noble counters that tone with a commanding, chilling delivery for Brainiac. A superhero is only as good as the depths of his opposition, and Noble brings out the best in his villainous portrayal of Brainiac."
Superman: Unbound Blu-ray Combo Pack has over 4 1/2 hours of exciting content, including:
- Standard and high definition versions of the feature film
- - UltraViolet
- - Sneak Peek at Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, the next DC Universe Animated Original Movie
- - Featurette - "Kandor: History of the Bottle City" - An all-new featurette. Kandor: a peaceful scientific community dedicated toward the preservation of all that is good on Krypton, the home world of Superman. That is, until the city was ripped from its world and placed into a small glass bottle! This is the short story highlighting the shrunken city of Kandor. Its history just as fascinating as it is unique, here is how it ties in directly with the Man of Tomorrow.
- - Featurette - "Brainiac: Technology and Terror" - An all-new featurette. Mostly machine, but part sentient being, Brainiac steals cities and destroys worlds. Is he the most vile of Superman's villainous foes? Experience the Brainiac mythology and find out why Superman barely stands a chance!
- - Audio Commentary - Featuring members of the creative team: Mike Carlin, Bob Goodman and James Tucker.
- - Four bonus episodes from Superman: The Animated Series ("The Last Son of Krypton, Part 1, "New Kids in Town"; and "Little Girl Lost, Part 1 & "Little Girl Lost, Part 2"), all handpicked by producer Alan Burnett.
- - Digital Comic - Excerpt from the graphic novel Superman: Brainiac by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank.